Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Celebrate the 4th With Some Beach Photos (from NJ)

edited July 2017 in Off-Topic
Story: The Republican governor shut down the state government Friday night after the Legislature failed to pass a budget. ... The shutdown forced the closure of tourist attractions and furloughed an estimated 30,000 to 35,000 state workers. All 40 state parks, recreational areas, historic sites, state beaches and Liberty State Park were closed just as the July Fourth holiday weekend got underway. Campers who stayed in parks Friday night were asked to leave Saturday morning.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/01/politics/nj-government-shutdown-chris-christie/index.html

Photo Album: http://photos.nj.com/8001122/gallery/gov_chris_christie_and_family_on_closed_island_beach_state_park_in_nj/index.html

Best title for photo album?

(A) "All men are created equal"

(B) "The pursuit of happiness"

(C) "A picture is worth 1,000 words"

Comments

• edited July 2017
    D. Get a decent State Legislature that does their job and passes a budget.

Which they finally did and the beaches are open today.
  • MJG
    edited July 2017
    Hi Hank,

I recognize that it was not your purpose, but the multiple photos that you presented brought back terrific boyhood memories.

My family owned a rental house in Seaside Heights during and just after WW II. It was a great vacation spot. At that time, the only access to the Seaside beaches and the tiny village that supported it was over an old, creaky bridge, close to the bay's (Barnegat Bay) water level, That crossing itself was an exciting adventure.

During the war, 30 foot high black curtains were drawn along the boardwalk at nighttime to confuse any enemy submarines as to location. I doubt that it added much to our defense, but we followed that discipline during the entire war.

At that time, at roughly the same location of the Governor's current summer home, we used to visit a fishing operation to buy freshly caught fish, soda pop, and beer. Great stuff! These are all fond memories, so thank you once again for helping me to recall those long ago happy happenings.

ADDED RECALL: As kids, each morning at sunrise, we would search for fallen coins under the Boardwalk. Our enterprise often paid off. It funded our treats later that day.

Best Wishes