Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

edited June 2017 in Off-Topic
Under federal law, state Medicaid programs are required to cover nursing home care. But state officials decide how much to pay facilities, and states under budgetary pressure could decrease the amount they are willing to pay or restrict eligibility for coverage. “The states are going to make it harder to qualify medically for needing nursing home care,” predicted Toby S. Edelman, a senior policy attorney at the Center for Medicare Advocacy ... States might allow nursing homes to require residents’ families to pay for a portion of their care.

MAGA?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/science/medicaid-cutbacks-elderly-nursing-homes.html

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Maybe their nursing home care will trickle down from all the incredible wealth generated by tax cuts for the 1%.
  • edited June 2017
    'states under budgetary pressure', bwahaha, as if any aren't

make 'em all work again

big sunday piece somewhere today about how men generally will not do caregiving work no matter how desperate

and we all know that almost no one native-born will pick produce, no matter how desperate

future is gonna be brutal --- more videogames and more dope, and way more conflict

thanks in part to MFO I will be able to increase my charitable giving in my dotage
  • The problems are healthcare will be do expensive in the near future and nobody even government can afford to continue paying them. Told my parents to get nursing home insurance already. Regards
  • A few info trinkets about long term care insurance. Insurance is insurance, yes? Be it life, home, auto, etc.
    Everyone's needs will vary.
    Note: all data believed accurate

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/insured-for-old-age-an-economi/

http://www.guidetolongtermcare.com/whopays.html

http://www.michigan.gov/difs/0,5269,7-303-12902_35510-383155--,00.html
  • edited June 2017
    @catch22
    The problem is long-term care insurance is too expensive for most Americans to afford and the newer policies cover far less than they did in the past. It's quite possible to have long-term care insurance today and still not have enough to pay for an extended nursing home stay.

Worse, an Alzheimer's epidemic is coming as people are living longer. The problem with Alzheimer's is that patients can be completely healthy in other ways yet require nursing home care because their mental faculties are impaired. That combination--physically healthy, mentally impaired--can lead to a nursing home stay that lasts for several years. I don't know of any long-term care policies covering extended stays that the average American can afford today.
  • Hi @LewisBraham
    Yes, I agree, about rates and coverage changes over the past several years. If I recall properly, some existing "old" policies had clauses that allowed changes (for the unknown?) in both pricing and coverage. So, some old policies were insurance with an "edge". One would almost need an attorney to read the wording on policies to fully understand the coverage, eh?
  • @MFO Members: I guess the point of this thread is to tell use that long-term health is very expensive, and out of reach for many Americans. Like we already didn't know !!!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited June 2017
    @Ted
    The point is the officials elected to bring back your "fabulous fifties" will be kicking the elderly out of nursing homes if their proposed Medicaid cuts pass. That long-term care insurance won't help much with this problem is an ancillary elaboration to this legitimate news, albeit a necessary one as some MFO'rs seem to think it's a potential solution.

Speaking of the fabulous fifties: https://washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/how-nostalgia-for-white-christian-america-drove-so-many-americans-to-vote-for-trump/2017/01/04/4ef6d686-b033-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html?utm_term=.3b107a4e2a2e
  • @Lewis: Are you ever going to get off your soap-box, and realize that the world isn't perfect and never will be.
    regards,
    Ted
  • always a good reason to stay complacent and do nothing
  • @Ted
    Acknowledging the world is imperfect doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make it better and alleviate as much unnecessary suffering as possible. Asking does this help people or hurt people should be foremost in every lawmakers' mind or at least does this help more people than it hurts? Your philosophy is a recipe for apathy at best or cynicism and selfishness at worst.
  • edited June 2017
    Not relevant here - But have you ever noticed how spending just a day or two in a hospital feels like an eternity? Leaving feels like being busted out of jail. Imagine being confined to a nursing home for years.

Possibly relevant - We are a very wealthy country by most standards.

Interesting (Evangelical) link by LB. I've observed this phenomenon - more so in rural areas of my state, and particularily in areas where education/income levels lag. It's hard to explain rationally. Answer might be that humans aren't rational.

(If I'm getting too political feel free to admonish. I'll attempt to fall in line.)
  • @catch: the "catch" is in the "cover(age)". (Sorry, could not resist-- but so on-target.)

Recent comment at Dr appt: "My next two patients are 101 & 103 respectively". Being 20 yrs younger I could only shudder. But consider: when we can make people live 30 yrs longer than anyone used to consider "expected", what do we do with those who cannot care for themselves - AND - have no living immediate family who can. I have LTC insurance for 3 yrs -- a lot more than most folks -- but what if in your 90's the brain conks out and after 3 years you are not dead and the "insurance" ends? Well, then "the family pays" -- but what if there is no "family", or the "family" is broke? I guess the idea is they put you on a $20 camp mattress & move you onto the sidewalk. (No, I am highly unlikely to ever be in that situation -- but I have friends that I could imagine someday being so.)

It seems to me that "LTC insurance" as a realistic solution for all but the very wealthy is a false "solution", but we really are not considering what may actually be the situation 10-20 years into the future. (Except total meanness to the 99%?)

Just thinkin'
  • And it gets worse before any LTC:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/26/the-real-reason-republicans-to-pass-this-health-care-bill-so-much-has-little-to-do-with-health-care/

Big ultimate plan is to divide the states and undo the union. All pregnant to Delaware, all mentally ill to Missouri, etc.

All cuz BO's name was on it. Just wow.
  • I really disagree about LTC insurance being only for the wealthy. The truly wealthy don't need it. They can pay for those expenses out of pocket. It's the middle class that risks losing everything, and LTC insurance, while not cheap, can be tailored to fit most people. There are many different products out there, where 5-10 years ago there was only the original concept. The problem for many is they wait until they are in their 70s to look into buying it. Yes, there is a lot of crap out there, but most of those companies and plans have long since left the market. Will premiums continue to increase? Probably, but what doesn't increase in costs?

I am not going to weigh in on the political discussion here, since I believe there is a middle-ground solution somewhere, if only the partisans and lobbyists for both sides would consider compromise. Remember that word? That was something politicians in the 1950s and 1960s were able to do once in a while. OK, time to get back to work.
  • edited June 2017
    The "compromise" argument is inoperable in this case. Both the House and Senate bills were drafted in secret, no hearings, no proposed amendments allowed -- not to mention that in this case, a "compromise" would mean eliminating the health care safety net for 11-12 million people.
  • The thing is, the original ACA was a massive compromise. In fact, originally it was a Republican idea:
    https://csmonitor.com/Business/Robert-Reich/2013/1028/The-irony-of-Republican-disapproval-of-Obamacare
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Almost total nonsense, alas, but widely believed by some. Not gonna provide the links; look it up.
  • The wooing of Republicans by Democrats over ACA was practically nonstop. Just for starters. No exclusion! Good grief. Talk about bizarro world.
    As for the Pelosi quote, you have not been following the Trumpcare process at all, have you? Talk about not knowing, secrecy, not wanting to know.
  • From the WaPo's Daily 202 roundup:

"Don Ritchie, the historian emeritus of the Senate, said that the chamber has not taken such a partisan, closed-door approach to major legislation since in the years before World War I. A century ago, Senate Democrats, at the urging of President Woodrow Wilson, drew up major tariff reforms while shutting out Republicans. But when Democratic leaders tried that again when they had large majorities during the Great Depression, rank-and-file senators revolted. It hasn’t happened since, he told the Los Angeles Times."

Much more in the full LA Times story ...

• edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice- That history is pretty interesting. Who did what to whom aside, generally speaking, how is the program working out in Mass?
  • That is one impressive wikip entry.

But you again need to dive deeper and farther back into actual history. Mandate, community rating, subsidy:

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2013/nov/15/ellen-qualls/aca-gop-health-care-plan-1993/

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/conservative-origins-of-obamacare/

You know, individual responsibility and all that good stuff.

HF has spent a lot of time recently trying to walk back their proposals, saying oh and we also have rethought it and changed our mind, yada yada.
  • From that wikip entry:
    "There was a widespread feeling that emergency rooms were misused for non-emergency medical care (the misuse was and is undeniable, not unique to Massachusetts, and continues; the relation to healthcare insurance or lack of it was less clear and apparently did/does not exist)."

Now that's fascinating. But it's also interesting that that paragraph doesn't seem to have any footnotes indicating source material for the statements.
  • Thanks, Mo.
  • edited June 2017
    @Maurice
    "In Fall 2005, the House and Senate each passed health care insurance reform bills. The legislature made a number of changes to Governor Romney's original proposal, including expanding MassHealth (Medicaid and SCHIP) coverage to low-income children and restoring funding for public health programs. The most controversial change was the addition of a provision which requires firms with 11 or more workers that do not provide "fair and reasonable" health coverage to their workers to pay an annual penalty. This contribution, initially $295 annually per worker, is intended to equalize the free care pool charges imposed on employers who do and do not cover their workers.

On April 12, 2006, Governor Romney signed the health legislation.[20] He vetoed eight sections of the health care legislation, including the controversial employer assessment.[21] He vetoed provisions providing dental benefits to poor residents on the Medicaid program, and providing health coverage to senior and disabled legal immigrants not eligible for federal Medicaid.[22] The legislature promptly overrode six of the eight gubernatorial section vetoes, on May 4, 2006, and by mid-June 2006 had overridden the remaining two."
    And what does that sound like to you? A bill that was discussed between both parties and comprised over--Romney had some ideas in there, the legislature put in some other ideas, Romney vetoed those ideas and the legislature overrode six of Romney's eight vetoes. That is exactly how government is supposed to function! It's not supposed to function in secret meetings no one has access to. Moreover, this was in 2006. The republic had more than three years to consider what was essentially in existence in Massachusetts--a Republican and Democratic authored bill on healthcare--before passing it nationwide. You ask the average Democrat what kind of healthcare bill they want and they will tell you--single payer--not the ACA. It was a compromise and remains one.