Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PRWCX

Still leading the pack +9% ytd, while sitting on 15% cash. That's some kinda neat trick! PRWCX.

Comments

• It is quite remarkable how well it is doing this year - way ahead of the balanced index.
  • I've held this fund since the 80s. Glad I did. It's my biggest holding.
  • Mine, too. And it's double the size of my next-biggest holding, in the same "balanced" group: MAPOX.
  • If MAPOX were NTF at a discount brokerage I would increase my holdings as well.
  • A truly admirable fund. Smartly, they closed it to new investors a long time ago. It is not a balanced fund by any means. It is much more of a risk-aware global allocation fund. Current allocation of57% U.S. stock, 22% international stock, 22% bonds (mostly short-term HY, and about 15% in cash. Definitely NOT a balanced fund. But this do-your-own-thing approach has worked for the fund for three decades.
  • edited June 2017
    Surprised to learn of international stake. Don't monitor that closely. Hold it for inlaws along with RPGAX - which I expected to provide international exposure. I guess it is still okay to hold both.

Curious that M* says "non us stock" is 3.25%. something wrong somewhere
  • edited June 2017

Surprised to learn of international stake. Don't monitor that closely. Hold it for inlaws along with RPGAX - which I expected to provide international exposure. I guess it is still okay to hold both.Curious that M* says "non us stock" is 3.25%. something wrong somewhere

From TRP's website (end of May): Domestic stock 59.1%, Domestic bond 20.4% Foreign stock 3.6%, Foreign bond 2.4%, Remainder in cash, convertibles and preferred.

Lipper, however, lists 26% in foreign holdings. I'm not sure if the 26% applies to all holdings or just to the equities. Agree with VF the numbers are confusing.

I've never known the fund to invest much in foreign stocks. Agree with the accolades. Owning it nearly since inception, I'm somewhat in disbelief. Suspect even the folks at Price are scratching their heads over this one's continued success under different managers and in different market environments.
  • Surprised at the foreign stake, and the discrepancy between Lipper and Morningstar numbers. But normally, when such a thing happens, it's M* that's simply not up-to-date.
  • I'd go with TRP website. Like others, I never remember it holding that much foreign. I disagree and think it is a balanced domestic fund for the most part. Definitely not global allocation.

http://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/composition.do?ticker=PRWCX
  • Buffett's rules .1Don't lose MOney 2 Don't forget rule 1 have been followed by all managers of this fund when they started managing and wrote that more or less in their first quarterly reportga
  • edited June 2017
    jerry said:

Buffett's rules .1Don't lose MOney 2 Don't forget rule 1 have been followed by all managers of this fund when they started managing and wrote that more or less in their first quarterly reportga

Don't lose money? Yes, agree. But than continue to generate these kinds of average annualized returns?
    PRWCX: Average annualized returns: 1-year 11.73%, 5-years 11.59%, Since Inception (21-years) 11.34% https://www3.troweprice.com/usis/personal-investing/mutual-funds/historical-performance.html

Talk about consistency!

BTW: The fund wasn't always so universally loved here. Here's a former poster named "Max" in November 2013 testing the waters. He was new to PRWCX and appeared in need of assurances from some of those familiar with the fund. I'm glad we were able to help at the time. http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/9085/changes/p1
  • @hank...@Crash
    Here's a former poster named "Max" in November 2013 testing the waters.
    I have a feeling things worked out just fine for "Ol' Max" and his affinity for PRWCX and other TR Price funds.

• edited June 2017
    :) :)
  • I so wish someone would hit that rule with a bus and dump it in the river. Such bullshit. If you really believe it (no one does), you never invest, period.
  • hank said:

jerry said:

Buffett's rules .1Don't lose MOney 2 Don't forget rule 1 have been followed by all managers of this fund when they started managing and wrote that more or less in their first quarterly reportga

Don't lose money? Yes, agree. But than continue to generate these kinds of average annualized returns?
    PRWCX: Average annualized returns: 1-year 11.73%, 5-years 11.59%, Since Inception (21-years) 11.34% https://www3.troweprice.com/usis/personal-investing/mutual-funds/historical-performance.html

Talk about consistency!

BTW: The fund wasn't always so universally loved here. Here's a former poster named "Max" in November 2013 testing the waters. He was new to PRWCX and appeared in need of assurances from some of those familiar with the fund. I'm glad we were able to help at the time. http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/9085/changes/p1
    Aw, shucks..... ;)
  • I held it from 2006 till in taxable account till I bought home in 2014. Then I bought it in Retirement account, but sold as I already had FPACX in one of my retirements accounts. Regret that decision.

I used to have PRWCX, OAKBX, and ARTKX in taxable account. Pretty all of them from 2006 in various percentages as part of my safer taxable portfolio, as I know I need this money in future for home. All of them made me good money.