Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• This will be their 4th global fund...too many?
  • I thought it was strange this fund was in registration after they liquidated the Global Small Cap Fund.
  • Isn't this the same team that runs ARTRX?
  • Never been a fan of Artisan for this reason. All they do is gather assets.
  • The team currently manages 3 strategies, each with a different Lead PM. This will give Jason White the opportunity to be the Lead PM on a strategy.
  • TheShadow said:

I thought it was strange this fund was in registration after they liquidated the Global Small Cap Fund.

Nothing strange. They wiped the performance off the old fund. I lamented this kind of behavior occurring once a fund company goes public, and Artisan funds no longer being an automatic pick for me. ARTHX was started to "wipe" off performance of "ARTIX". Luckily international has recovered and then every manager becomes a genius once again.

And let's not forget ARTZX and ARTYX. Over the lifetime of ARTYX, it has returned $6 more. Hiring a "famed" Thornburg manager who had no bear market record. Of course ARTYX now garners more assets than ARTZX ever could, and if the performance hadn't matched, ARTZX would have been closed. It still might. Let's just wait.

I will use my ANALysis to guide me on whether to enter position in new fund. With Artisan I just got lucky regarding WHEN I bought. So I've kept on taking profits in their funds. I've been waiting to buy again, and will do in the positions I own along with the new fund.
  • VF is right on. Mark Hockey's record is spotty in recent years. Left the International fund before 2004 when more suitable substitutes became available. Also the above average ER is ridiculous.
  • It's hard for me to get excited about Artisan. AT one time, we had rather large positions with Mid Cap and Mid Cap Value, as well as International. We sold out of Yockey's fund quite a while back, and it has really struggled to be relevant. We have used ICEIX for a long time now and have been very happy with it. Mid Cap had a great run with Andy Stephens at the helm. Both Mid Cap and Mid Cap Value have seen enormous swings in their asset bases. Value has gone from $10 billion in 2013 to $2 billion now. Not sure what is going on at Artisan, but with a couple of exceptions, there has been a large exodus of assets.