Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: 25 Funds Investors Are Dumping

FYI: The reasons include investors' shifting preference for lower costs, the rise of target-date funds, and good ol' performance-chasing.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=810963

Comments

• I'm really surprised that one of my very long-term investments, Franklin Mutual Global Discovery (MDISX), made this list, with an eye-popping outflow of 16%.

It has a great long-term record (even though Michael Price is just a fond memory). Solid team managing it. Guess that isn't enough.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If Dividends are the mother's milk for small investors, AUM and management fees are a similar elixir for fund managers.

An outflow of assets hurts a fund manager worse than an equity bear market when it comes to a fund manager's profits. Remember, even in a bear market they generate a positive return for themselves with regard to AUM and management fees.

The big difference between an asset loss (due to market pull back) and lost assets due to poor management.
  • edited June 2017
    Lawlar said:

I'm really surprised that one of my very long-term investments, Franklin Mutual Global Discovery (MDISX), made this list, with an eye-popping outflow of 16%.

It has a great long-term record (even though Michael Price is just a fond memory). Solid team managing it. Guess that isn't enough.

I'm a recent buyer in MDISX, but not a meaningful position. I used to own it long time back when I was with E*Trade and it was NTF. However, I couldn't stand E*Trade and with it I had to exit my MDISX position. Now I'm back, and let's hope people fleeing MDISX is a contrarian indicator.

I also own MALOX in one of my retirement accounts and VGHCX for a trade.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Keep in mind that much of this is RETAIL money, investors trying to follow whatever trend is hot. I would suggest that more than a few of the funds on this list could have banner years. MALOX is ahead of the S&P 500 ytd. TGBAX is up more than double the gain of VTABX. JPMorgan Core Bond is ahead of VBTLX. At some point, investors will abandon the current "hot" funds and sectors, and move on to something else that has caught the next trend.

On the other hand, this is not to suggest that more than a few of the funds on this list are in serious trouble, if not on the brink of liquidation. How many times can a fund sustain outflows of more than 50% and survive? WASYX is a case in point. M* numbers are incorrect on it. Current assets are only about $230 million, down from about $1.5 billion just 3.5 years ago. It would appear this one is a goner, for a number of reasons. M* numbers must include privately-managed dollars as well as mutual fund assets for each fund. This being the case, the situation is even more dire for the mutual-fund only assets.
  • BobC said:

Keep in mind that much of this is RETAIL money, investors trying to follow whatever trend is hot. I would suggest that more than a few of the funds on this list could have banner years. MALOX is ahead of the S&P 500 ytd. TGBAX is up more than double the gain of VTABX. JPMorgan Core Bond is ahead of VBTLX. At some point, investors will abandon the current "hot" funds and sectors, and move on to something else that has caught the next trend.

On the other hand, this is not to suggest that more than a few of the funds on this list are in serious trouble, if not on the brink of liquidation. How many times can a fund sustain outflows of more than 50% and survive? WASYX is a case in point. M* numbers are incorrect on it. Current assets are only about $230 million, down from about $1.5 billion just 3.5 years ago. It would appear this one is a goner, for a number of reasons. M* numbers must include privately-managed dollars as well as mutual fund assets for each fund. This being the case, the situation is even more dire for the mutual-fund only assets.

Hi Bob,

*M recently put MALOX "under review" due to the upcoming departure of one of the managers on Aug. 1. Does this departure concern you at all? Thanks.