Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Man Who Called Dow 20,000 Says Stock Market Could See 1,000-Point Surge If Trump Resigns Text &Video

TedTed
edited May 2017 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Life without President Donald Trump? On Wall Street, that idea is being bandied about increasingly of late, as the commander-in-chief has seen his credibility as leader of the free world assailed relentless over the past weeks, ultimately spurring Wall Street stocks into their worst tailspin in months.

On Wednesday, Jeremy Siegel — a prominent stock-market bull — said equity markets, specifically the Dow, would spike by 1,000 points if Trump announced his resignation from the U.S. presidency.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/man-who-called-dow-20000-says-stock-market-could-see-1000-point-jump-if-trump-resigns-2017-05-17/print

Comments

• If he's replaced by Pence, I'm going long on rapture futures.
  • beebee
    edited May 2017
    That would be a 4.8% drop. So hedge your portfolio with EDV (long US Treasuries or your favorite non-correlated asset) at 4.8% of your portfolio if you believe this outcome is likely.
  • edited May 2017
    Note to Trump - Please resign after DOW falls 1000 times. Then if it does not go up 1000 points, take the soothsayer to court.

Utter crap. Making a prediction predicated on something that's not going to happen in which case one cannot really say you are wrong.

If I could become 20 again, I would have hair. How's that for a prediction from someone who has predicted several times, such predictors will never go away?
  • @VintageFreak,

Some people dream in color... I dream in hair. We suffer from too much "T" I guess.
  • GOP got his back so he will sail through the whole thing just fine.
  • Hopefully.
  • edited May 2017
    One gaming site currently puts the odds at about even: http://time.com/money/4782344/trump-impeachment-gambling-betting-odds/

Saudi Arabia apparently doesn't believe he'll be removed. Yesterday they committed to funding a $40 Billion Blackstone infrastructure fund. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-saudi-blackstone-group-idUSKCN18G0OW. The new fund "reflects our positive views around the ambitious infrastructure initiatives being undertaken in the United States as announced by President Trump," the PIF's managing director Yasir al-Rumayyan said.

I disagree with the idea that markets would necessarily rise if this were to occur. You'd be setting in motion a whole bunch of different pieces. How they'd eventually settle out is a big unknown (like whether Pence would be better for the economy than Trump and how it might affect the Democrats' chances in 2020). Keep in mind that even if impeachment were to occur, there would still be a trial in the U.S. Senate before the President could be removed. In all likelihood this would prove to be a long and contentious period.

Some (admittedly partial) sources have recently advocated invoking the 25th Amendment, which provides for removal of a President who has become incapacitated to the point of not being able to perform his/her duties (without using he impeachment process) https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxxv

May you live in interesting times.:)
  • edited May 2017
    Can we use the 25th Amendment to remove members of Congress? There are several here in California that are certifiable nut jobs. And the Governor as well.
  • @bartab - when I lived in the Bay Area CA had the ballot proposition thing going on. Wouldn't that be a little quicker and cleaner?
  • Saudi Arabia apparently doesn't believe he'll be removed. Yesterday they committed to funding a $40 Billion Blackstone infrastructure fund.

@hank, SA likely knows, like everyone else in this world, an infrastructure plan must happen in the US sooner or later. Obama tried to move one forward but was blocked by the GOP congress. Why, because it came from Obama of course. Damn what the country needs. So with a Republican congress and a Republican in the White House (that's a fact even if the GOP's red-headed step child is gone) , SA should invest in Blackstone infrastructure fund. . Maybe we should too.
  • edited May 2017
    bartab said:

Can we use the 25th Amendment to remove members of Congress? There are several here in California that are certifiable nut jobs. And the Governor as well.

Might not work. I believe the 25th assumes the other government officials are all of sound mind and therefore able to determine that the one being removed is not. So I think it would work best with just one nut.

Interesting thought however.:)
  • I don't think Maxine Waters is playing with a full deck.