Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GLRBX

Just curious about your thoughts of this fund as a moderate balanced holding in a portfolio. It doesn't seem to be doing very well in this environment, given its holdings in treasuries and all-cap value picks. Even on down days in the equity markets it seems to do poorly. Is this the type of fund that holds up well in a bear market? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Its chief strength, or a chief strength anyway, has been bear performance, yes.
    It usually has done better than it is doing now, but its method and decisionmaking and philosophies are not as suited today as in the past.
  • edited May 2017
    I do own GLRBX. I think it has performed poorly because it went short bonds too early. Then again, that's why I like it. I DCA in here whenever it gets "oversold".
  • Thanks for the input. It's definitely struggled over the past few years during an up market. It seems to focus on more mid caps and small caps when compared to the average moderate balanced fund.
  • Thanks for the input. It's definitely struggled over the past few years during an up market. It seems to focus on more mid caps and small caps when compared to the average moderate balanced fund.

Yeah, another reason IMHO to own it. Also I think it is more "conservative" than your moderate balanced fund. One reason it has held back relatively to others.
  • I heard James management speak to a group of RIAs in late 2007. The person told us they (James) were fairly confident a massive selloff was in the offing. Interesting that he said they were doing nothing to the portfolio despite their strong conviction of a 50-60% drawdown in the S&P 500. The fund held up reasonably well despite the lack of conviction in their own conviction. It always stuck with me. Their allocation has barely changed over the years, remaining about 50% in stocks and 50% in bonds and cash. Also interesting is the fund's mostly mid-cap value tilt. I compare it to WHGIX, VBINX. We use WHGIX as an actively-managed, low-risk hold in conservative accounts.
  • edited May 2017
    I'm contemplating buying WHGIX for a while now. I'm just worried I"m going to jinx it for everyone else. It does not seem to have any risky bonds, does have preferred stocks.

Similarly, what you do you think of WWIOX?
  • Same strategy as WHGIX, but with more foreign equities and bonds and a bit less cash. Same management. We have not used it to date. Given its "world allocation" status, we find much more interest in TIBIX, RPGAX, and MALOX, all of whom have a much longer history.
  • I bought WHGIX a few months ago after reading Bob's thoughts about it. I was impressed with its long term performance, especially during 2008. It's fairly tax efficient as well. You won't hit any home runs with it, but mostly singles and doubles.
  • I have been invested in OAKBX for the long-term, the performance of WHGIX and OAKBX is almost identical for the period when Morningstar has data on WHGIX (OAKBX is slightly ahead).
  • edited May 2017
    To me WHGIX is more like an "alternative" fund. FPACX would be a more apt comparison rather than vanilla balanced funds. And is why I asked Bob about the global version of WHGIX. GRSPX is also in this category. Reason is, outside of stocks they are doing something different than plain bonds.

OAKBX, PRWCX, etc. I would group together for comparison with GLRBX. Just my 2 cents.

I own FPACX, OAKBX, GRSPX, GLRBX at this time. PRWCX, RPGAX I own for my in-laws.
  • edited May 2017
    VintageFreak, Very helpful, I have been investing three groups of funds:
    Balanced: OAKBX, PRWCX
    Alternatives: FPACX
    And: PVFIX and ICMAX (alternatives but without bond holdings) not sure how to classify.

I am trying to understand the advantages of adding to what I already have.
  • PVFIX has been taking a bit of a hit lately because of "value" bets on "energy". I am waiting patiently to add to my position with money from the distributions over last several years that I never re-invest.
  • I have adopted as a strategy to keep regularly adding to ICMAX and PVFIX in the current phase of the market. But most of all, to resist the temptation to add to PRWCX. I am considering instead establishing a new position on WHGIX - which had a shallow draw-down in 2008 10-year Downside Capture ratio of 52.76, but still reluctant given that the decision would be based on a single full-cycle (my assumption is that each cycle is different, and have tried to use the discipline of having more than one.)