Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MCRDX vs. MAINX

MCRDX vs. MAINX.
What do we think about the younger fund, MCRDX? Teresa Kong runs that one, too. It's been in business, now, for exactly 1 year. April 29. Thanks for any input. MAINX has been quite reliable, I think.....

Comments

• Own smattering of both in my IRA. New fund from Matthews => High probability of success. Some folks know when to start a fund, which automatically translates to when to buy a fund. We just don't pay enough attention to this. Just like a lot of funds did well in the tech boom because of the precise time they started the fund (and some even closed before the bust like Nicholas Applegate) and others fared badly for the same reason.

I can understand investing over the long term, but the bottom line is that out of the gate if fund does not get the timing right, then it will not gather enough assets and will not be sustainable to keep open.

I also own smattering of their Small Cap fund. At the time they opened it, I wondered, "Why now?". Had to be some thing. Oh well, I'm making long term bets on certain managers they know when to start a fund. Grandeur Peak is another. I'm not sure about their sister funds though.
  • For what it's worth, I'll post a short set of interview notes with Satya Patel (MCRDX) in our May issue tonight, then do a profile of the fund for the June issue.
  • Looking at these 2 funds portfolio composition shows these are different
    asian debt funds

MAINX is 50 % corporate debt, 35 % govt debt
    24 % of the debt is rated A to BBB-
    60 % is exposed to the US dollar
    duration is approx 3.5

MCRDX is 67 % corporate debt, 11% govt debt
    4.6 % of the debt is rated BBB- (0% A rated debt)
    88 % is exposed to the US dollar
    duration approx 3.5

data sets dated 3-31-2017

MCRDX appears to be lower quality debt that is a play on the continued
    strengthening of the US dollar.

These 2 funds IMO are not the same and should return different amounts
    as the US dollar trends either up or down.

I feel an investor can include PREMX and FNMIX (to name a few) with these
    2 Mathews funds as EM debt exposure that in 2017 is mostly a bet on the
    future strength of the US dollar, as each fund must make a decision as to
    its currency exposure. (note the beta in EM debt funds immediately after
    the Trump election)

At this time (3-31-2017) MAINX looks to be a more conservative fund
    for US investors. But I think neither should be considered low risk.
  • Glad for the follow-up from David, and thanks to all for your homework! :)