Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Two Buck Chuck

FYI: ( The Linkster drinks a glass of wine every night, doctors orders, that my wife buys at discount at out near-by supermarket. She pays between 3 and 4 dollars a bottle, and I can't tell the difference from a 50 dollar bottle of French Wine.)

It might sound insane, but there's a decent bottle of wine out there that costs less than some bottles of water.

That's been the gimmick of Charles Shaw, aka "Two Buck Chuck," which hit the shelves at Trader Joe's in January 2002. The wine's $1.99 price tag, simple off-white label, and saccharine flavor, closer to grape juice than wine, sparked a collective freakout among American bargain hunters. It flew in the face of the wine world's snobbery; it was an everyperson's bottle of wine.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/trader-joes-wine-two-buck-chuck-history

Comments

• Try a box wine next time. 4 bottles in one box. No glass to discard. Bladder keeps wine fresh. Price can be very similar to two buck chuck. Would like to hear from other box wine fans and their preferred brand. I enjoy Black Box Cabs

Walmart's Melbac beats out 16,000 competitors:
    wideopencountry.com/6-walmart-wine-wins-surprising-award/
  • Black Box is great but usually slightly above my price point. Frontera cab-merlot blend at Costco (1.5L) comes out to <$4 / btl, and it's pleasant drinking. They have a malbec too.
    TBC (Shaw) is now $3, I read.
  • beebee
    edited April 2017
    Black Box is great but usually slightly above my price point.
    Usually under $15 at Total Wine (in MA & other states, not CT due to taxation) which has a wide footprint of stores. Also, Double Dog at TW for under $12 and Pacific Peak for under $10.

I usually have to "milk" the last glass or two by taking the bladder out of the box, but I digest.
  • Definitely squeeze that bladder! Native New Englander that I am, I always pull out the plastic & carefully drain...

(I happen to be 10 minutes from TW; as a beer fanatic (I am too shy to call myself a connoisseur of winter stouts, but I am a "devotee") I am not fond of their treatment of beer customers, but at least they have a selection).
  • One up on all of you ! Brother saves the bladder & uses it to sit on at the old ballgame .
    Derf
  • Yes, just came back from Total this minute, and $3.75 / btl is at the right point, and where the Frontera blend sits. (Prefer it to the BB, very slightly.)
  • my favorite is power's state of washington boxed cab. expensive but superb. next is black box cab followed by inexpensive opici barberone which is joy for merlot imbibers.
  • After a trip to Italy, I realized that you can drink a decent wine at all times without consideration of the price. They serve good local wine by the pitcher through a tap.

But really....life is too short to drink bad wine...or cheap scotch.

Go to Costco and get their house brand select...it's really good, and $10-15 a bottle., with a 10% discount for a case.

• Which house brand is that? They have good Kirkland chianti and okay rioja and malbec, and probably some others. An okay strong sauv blanc. No case discount at my Costco.
  • edited April 2017
    Yes, the Kirkland Signature brands...here's an interesting link:

http://www.reversewinesnob.com/search/label/costco/

As for the discount, that may be a state issue.
  • edited April 2017
    Trader Joe's needs to rebrand "two-buck chuck". It is more like $2.49 last time I looked. Frankly, it is not as good as it was at $2. I think quality has suffered to keep price down.

There is a Port at TJ's I forget that's quite good for the price. TJ's in CA has a 10 year single malt for $17 I think. They can't sell it in TX. Matter of fact lotsa time the "good stuff" goes away from the shelves because "the alchohol content was too high for what's allowed in grocery store in TX so we had to stop selling it".
  • The trouble with articles like that is that they are so out of date and inapplicable for the current situation at the local Costco.

Interesting about TJ port and s-m.

BB at Total in Mass. is down to $14.79 / 3L, so I shall have to revisit. But I usually can find reds I like seriously on sale for $7-$12, my new price range following this DT rally :) .
  • edited April 2017
    Davidmoran...try this current and ongoing blog. This is the one I meant to post:

http://costcowineblog.com/