Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tax Efficient Balanced Funds

Hello all,

Just curious about your options for using a balanced fund in a taxable account as a core holding. After getting hit with a rather large tax bill for 2016, I'm looking to put together a more tax efficient portfolio. I'm paring back on some income producing CEFs and looking to put that money to work in a more tame, tax efficient manner. Some options such as VBINX, CBLAX and VTMFX have appeared on my radar. Any other candidates? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hard to imagine anyone beating VTMFX. In fact, I need to re-examine my allocation to VWELX.
  • edited March 2017
    My largest holding is VWELX. Great fund but I think it should be held in a non-taxable account for sure.
  • Holding a balanced portfolio, comprised of muni-bonds and stocks, probably makes sense for many people.

But, IMO, using the 'wrapper' of a balanced fund to do so, is not the approach I would take. Instead, I would own separate stock & muni-bond vehicles (probably ETFs or CEFs), held in the desired stock/bond allocation. Why? - When stocks (or bonds) drop, you can use the taxability of your account as an asset, rather than a liability -- sell the item which is 'down', harvest the tax loss, then buy a similiar-but-not-identical ETF.

OTOH, the manager of a tax-aware balanced fund doesn't drive his/her decisions on what YOUR cost-basis is.

jmo
  • FMUAX has muni's, so maybe a bit more tax efficient.
  • Edmond said:

Holding a balanced portfolio, comprised of muni-bonds and stocks, probably makes sense for many people.

But, IMO, using the 'wrapper' of a balanced fund to do so, is not the approach I would take. Instead, I would own separate stock & muni-bond vehicles (probably ETFs or CEFs), held in the desired stock/bond allocation. Why? - When stocks (or bonds) drop, you can use the taxability of your account as an asset, rather than a liability -- sell the item which is 'down', harvest the tax loss, then buy a similiar-but-not-identical ETF.

OTOH, the manager of a tax-aware balanced fund doesn't drive his/her decisions on what YOUR cost-basis is.

jmo

I think a problem with this plan occurs when you have little to no losses, but a lot of capital gains and income. This has been the case for me more often than not.