Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

passive vs active funds

Does anyone have a good resource that provides an objective discussion of active funds vs. passive indexing. I believe passive indexing always has its place but during this last bull market I think active funds have been almost shunned. The amount of money flowing into indexed is stunning. Thanks.

Comments

• @dirkracette: There is a ton of material on the subject. Here is an article from Wharton Business School to get you started. In my opinion it isn't an either or proposition. I have always advocated using both passive and active management.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://executiveeducation.wharton.upenn.edu/thought-leadership/wharton-wealth-management-initiative/wmi-thought-leadership/active-vs-passive-investing-which-approach-offers-better-returns
  • A fair number of active funds outperform before expenses but not after / THis suggests its necessary to look for low expenseses.Active funds used to outperform many years ago but Federal regulations that required companies to provide information to all at the same time took away an edge large investors had.AS you probably know cash (particularly at current rates) is a drag on performance in Bull markets but must active funds have a few % in cash in part to avoid having to sell a position because of redemptions.
    "The real question is how to find active funds that will outperform but selecting winners is very difficult though avoiding dogs is not so hard.

Sorry I can't provide a link but I think what I wrote is objective