Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bear Market Fund Defenders

beebee
edited February 2017 in Fund Discussions
Not impressed...what are your "bear market" funds?

bear-market-defenders

Comments

• beebee
    edited February 2017
    no entry
  • This is an old article. Look at the date. I sold DEFIX because it became too volatile for me. Was a good decision for a while after which it of course, it did spectacularly. I transferred its holdings into AUXFX. I will wait patiently for years before I buy DEFIX.

ARTVX is closed now.

I own AUXFX, CGMFX, FAIRX, YAFFX, FMIMX.
    AUXFX, CGMFX, FAIRX held for years and never sold. FMIMX owned in IRA for years, and as soon as it re-opened, sold in IRA and bought in taxable. YAFFX owned for years in IRA.
  • Though I am a half-glass-empty investor, I find the idea of using bear-market funds bizarre. Paying a E/R to somebody to short the market and simultaneously (in some cases) paying another fund manager to go long...

If one is bearish, simply sell-down one's stock position to one's comfort-zone and keep it in cash (or a bond fund).
  • Okay, these are not "Bear Market Funds". Just word play in the article. I don't see anything wrong with buying funds that have both lower downside capture ratio than upside. Matter of fact this can become especially important if bonds cannot produce the necessary "balance" to an all stock portfolio coming off historically low rates.

PVFIX, ICMAX, COBYX, MOATX et.al I'm expecting to hold up better.