Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: Pimco Total Return Posts $3.2 Billion Outflows In December:

FYI: Investors pulled $3.2 billion from the Pimco Total Return Fund, once the world's largest bond fund, in December, bringing last year’s total cash withdrawals to $16.1 billion, Morningstar said on Friday.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.reuters.com/article/funds-pimco-outflows-idUSL1N1EW14C

Comments

• edited January 2017
    I have some dough in PTTRX, as it is my ONLY core-bond option in my 401k. So, like a lot of 401k investors, I am a bit of a captive-customer of it.

When Bill Gross left, I was hopeful/encouraged. His behavior & commentaries struck me as somewhat 'off' in the couple years leading up to his departure. From a p-r perspective, I thought it was smart to replace the 'bond-king' with not one, but THREE experienced managers Kiesel/Mather/Worah. And naming Ivascyn as PIMCO's CIO -- I viewed that as wise too. Then too, as PTTRX has been bleeding assets. -- M* always maintained it had too many AUM --- so presumably now, with its AUM considerably shrunken, it should be much more manageable, right?

Maybe my expectations for the new team were too high. -- In 2016, M* indicates PTTRX returned 2.60% vs the bond-index returning 2.65%. And PTTRX lags the index on a trlg 3-year bassis too. I know there is always a cost-drag, but then (successful) active-management is supposed to overcome that drag and then some.

Its doing 'OK', but given the more manageable size, 3 top-tier managers, and Ivascyn's leadership of the firm, I guess I expected a lot more of PTTRX since Gross departed. I admit to some degree of disappointment. Especially as PIMIX (which I hold in large positions in my taxable and IRAs) continues to regularly deliver multiples of the returns of PTTRX. I don't expect PTTRX to achieve returns comparable to PIMIX, but I am disappointed that given all the brainpower running PTTRX it cannot must meaningful, consistent outperformance vs a "dumb" bond index.

Would love to hear thoughts of other PTTRX holders, plus or minus. Am I being too stern of a critic?