Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is Morningstar so poor they cannot afford beta testers?

The big software companies hire beta testers to do the dirty work. Is Morningstar too poor? It is disrespectful to make customers test their buggy software. Pretty sad.

Comments

• They're just cheap, worthless bastards.
  • @JoJo26: When are you going to tell us what you really think of M* ?
    Happy New Year
    Ted
  • edited December 2016
    He's Come A Long Way !

#321 Joe Mansueto
    Real Time Net Worth As of 12/30/16
    $2.1 Billion
    2016 Forbes 400 Net Worth
    $2.2 Billion
    Chairman and CEO, Morningstar Inc.
    Age 60
    Source Of Wealth investment research, Self Made
    Self-Made Score 8

Residence Chicago, IL
    Citizenship United States
    Marital Status Married
    Children 3
    Education Bachelor of Arts / Science, University of Chicago; Master of Business Administration, Booth School of Business
    Joe Mansueto on Forbes Lists
    #321 Forbes 400 (2016)
    #307 in 2015
    #854 Billionaires (2016)
    #306 in United States

http://www.forbes.com/profile/joe-mansueto/?list=forbes-400
  • Perhaps I'm naive...but how does founding M* make one a billionaire? Where does the money come from?

• The big software companies hire beta testers to do the dirty work. Is Morningstar too poor? It is disrespectful to make customers test their buggy software. Pretty sad.

Big software companies like Google? Pay testers? Sometimes it seems that it's the other way around, with people willing to pay to test the new software:
    During the early months of the initial beta phase, Gmail's well-publicized feature set and the exclusive nature of the accounts caused the aftermarket price of Gmail invitations to skyrocket.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Gmail#Extended_beta_phase

Beta testing is not alpha testing. Often customers are anxious to get beta versions to have the latest and greatest. Does M* force customers to test their beta release? When I go to http://beta.morningstar.com, there's a link on that page that brings me to a message:
    The old version of Morningstar.com is still available while we're previewing our new site to select group of readers. Note: If you head back to the old site, you won't see the new site until it is launched to everyone.
  • I keep heading back to the old site, and I keep receiving the same message....?
  • It appears all the money is going into someone's pocket rather than into improving the site. Be sure to have some salt at hand when you read their fund details.
  • I keep heading back to the old site, and I keep receiving the same message....?

I can't comment - I haven't tried returning to the "classic" pages. If you're stuck in beta, that's something to complain about.
  • FWIW saying, the site (both premium & forum, beta & classic) has been in various stages of hellish dysfunction for over a year. When they do fix something it's one step forward, several different steps back. ;/
  • Where does he get his money ? 23,000,000 shares of MORN equals $1.7 Billion

While he surely got paid more earlier now he only make $100,000 as Chairman