Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Having trouble finding daily YTD stats on funds

edited December 2016 in Off-Topic
Here's the Lipper link I normally use. All week long it's been blank where YTD normally shows up: http://funds.us.reuters.com/US/funds/overview.asp?symbol=TRRIX.O. At first I thought they just weren't bothering due to the approaching end of year. However, I've now noticed they no longer show one-year return either:

I found a good tracker at The Street, but its YTD appears to be as the end of last month. Found one at WSJ (without a subscription) but it was a long alpha list and some of the funds I need to view were omitted. Tried M*, but the tracker I accessed required typing in the fund name rather than a symbol. Maybe should have tried harder - but rarely do M* and so am not familiar with their site.

Thanks for any links. Really like Lipper if you have one that works and gives daily YTD.

Comments

• Good luck.

Yahoo, Google, CNN Money, etc. usually show it but they do NOT usually tell you if it's total return or just price change. You really have to dig to find YTD TR shown as a percentage (or any other date range for that matter). I'm aware of various sites' charts showing growth of $10,000, but to me they are more cumbersome than just a simple percent TR.

I (and I assume most people) care about TR more often than about price change, but you usually have to figure out which number they are showing you.
  • edited December 2016
    @Low Tech

I did find everything nicely laid out for TRP's funds on their site. Gives YTD both daily as well as at the end of November. However, several of my funds are not from Price.

Good grief. I tried the CNN site (mentioned by LT) and they're showing +2.8% YTD for TRRIX. I know it's closer to 6% - so those guys are really out to lunch!
  • Howdy @hank

This M* section works without fail. I've used this for years. The below link is set for VWINX............
    1. at this linked page; scroll down just a little bit and you will see this page has been selected using the "performance" tab

2. scroll down a little bit more to the "Trailing Total Returns" . Here you will find 1 day, 1 week, etc. moving to the right for longer time frames. NOTE: this data is current as soon as the fund company has posted data. I find delays until the next morning for some fund companies....two common ones being Vanguard and Pimco. M* notes in light print just below this data (in the same box) as to what date the data is current.

3. NOW, scroll back to the top and at the "quote" box and enter another "mutual fund" ticker symbol. The performance page will remain set and simply scroll down for data for this next fund selection.

NOTE: if one enters another type of ticker symbol; i.e., an etf or stock ticker, the page will load "new" with the most recent "quote". To obtain the "performance" page again, click onto/select the tab named "performance" to view the same type of data as noted above (Trailing Total Returns). So, you may view any ticker performance, keeping in mind that every time one changes ticker types (mutual fund, etf, stock, cef, etc.) the "performance" tab needs to be selected/set again. I view numerous mutual funds, etf's and a few individual stocks each week. I do this in group types so I don't have to move back and forth between "quote and performance tabs".

http://performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=VWINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

Let me know if I missed something or unclear directions.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks Catch. It works! Exactly what I was looking for.:)

Besides owning TRRIX*, I measure my overall performance, and that of several of my funds, against it. Many years have convinced me it occupies a suitable spot on the risk/reward spectrum for someone in retirement. (But so do a lot of other good funds).

*The name was changed from Retirement Income to Retirement Balanced a few years ago.
  • @hank
    Cool.
    ALSO, at the performance page; just above the chart area, one will find "COMPARE". Enter a ticker here too to compare returns with whatever fund you're currently viewing. This will be placed into the "Trailing Total Returns" numbers section, too; as well as onto the line graphic chart.
  • edited December 2016
    @hank
    Another note:
    Although not purely scientific, as to the VWINX M* link for reference.......and with my knowing that this fund invests between 30-40% equity and 70-60% bonds and knowing of recent that bonds have had a face slap in pricing I have been watching the 3 month return to help gauge impact from bond pricing; keeping in mind how equity has also performed during this same period. I look at all time frame returns from 1 day through YTD when I do a weekly review on the weekends. This helps (at least my mind) me place a visual reference against market actions in various sectors relative to our various holdings and how they are being impacted. One can sense trends and changes, yes?; as well as how active management may be performing their task(s).
    Disclosure: We are invested with VWINX in portfolios.
    Regards,
    Catch