Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Breakfast Briefing: Dow On Track To Make A Fresh Attempt To Hurdle Over 20,000

Comments

• It fascinates me that people obsess about round numbers on indices.
  • edited December 2016
    erudite

It fascinates me that people obsess about round numbers on indices.

It is fascinating isn't it? Not just stock indexes. Toss in 50th anniversaries, turning 70 or 100, or becoming a millionaire - to name a few. The goverrnment, however, seems not to have such fixation. Witness the 70.5 years of age RMD requirement or tax brackets like 28 and 33%.

Is Dow 20,000 meaningful? Hardly. But if it's like Dow 10,000 the gang at CNBC will celebrate. Unlike your 50th anniversary, they'll probably get to celebrate Dow 20,000 more than once.

There could be a psychological aspect to all this that will motivate those investors who are less erudite than we to throw caution to the wind and start pouring money into an already hot market, driving indexes even higher for some period of time. Or, I suppose, the opposite may also accur - with the daunting figure stoking fear in the hearts of many and causing stocks to sell off.