Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MetWest Tops Pimco Total Return As Largest Active Bond Fund

FYI: Pimco Total Return Fund, once the world’s largest mutual fund under former manager Bill Gross, is now the second-biggest actively managed bond fund as client withdrawals and investment losses reduced holdings
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-05/pimco-total-return-passed-by-metwest-as-largest-active-bond-fund

Comments

• This is not good news.

Many years ago I went to talk where one of the MWTIX managers (don't remember who) spoke. An audience member asked him to compare MetWest's fund with PTTRX. The response was that PTTRX was an excellent fund, but given its size, Gross had to manage it top down, making macro calls. MetWest's smaller fund could add value through issue selection and by focusing on smaller attributes of the market.

The fund has great managers, but they may have described their own future (now present).
  • The boatload of new assets have resulted, thus far, in an increase in OERs and a slackening in relative performance. I own it; I'm not thrilled. Big paydays for Met West though, I'm sure.