Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Q&A With Scott Burns: It’s Almost Always Better To Buy A Car Than Lease

FYI: Q. I lease my car rather than buy. Every three years I get a new vehicle. Depending on how much I put down and the condition of the old vehicle, that determines my lease price. Am I better off leasing than buying? ---E.R., by email

A. A few people will be better off leasing than buying. This will happen because they shop very carefully and lease a car from a manufacturer who is underestimating depreciation in an effort to “move metal,” boosting car sales by offering great lease deals.

But deals like that are rare. They tend to be in the luxury brands. For most people leasing almost guarantees high costs because it commits them to paying for the high depreciation years of a new car and regular payments of a sales tax.
Regards,
Ted
https://assetbuilder.com/knowledge-center/articles/its-almost-always-better-to-buy-a-car-than-lease

Comments

• edited November 2016
    I once gave credence to the lease-vs-buy advice. But I find Burns’ ‘analysis’ glib and superficial.

I’ve bought & held a car for an extended period. (17 years). Did I save money? Sure. The absence of a monthly payment during the 14 years after my note was paid off was a plus. OTOH, most folks won’t hold a car for that long. In the real world, folks’ personal circumstances change, which affect the type of vehicle that a household needs. Kids arrive; later, kids leave the nest. Maybe a driver decides they want a “higher ride” or a more fuel-efficient car or a more spacious ride.

Moreover, holding a car for a long period, while it saves money on the monthly note to the financing company, does mean that inevitably repair/maintenance costs will cost more. My 17-year “marriage” to my Honda (a generally reliable ride) still began to incur an uptrend in maintenance costs in the later years ( and MORE repair outlays were on the horizon). Most vehicles have a recommended “full maintenance” calendared for every 30K miles; lessees may be able to skip that entirely if they are light drivers. Replacing tires, not usually needed on leases, can run $150 or more per tire on brand-name tires, depending on the wheel size. Batteries need to be replaced; and brakes, etc. etc. all the ordinary “wear and tear” stuff. Then too, every trip to the mechanic, besides the explicit outlay, requires your time. Maybe others consider their time as worthless or a “free good”; my time is not without value.

Interestingly, the higher the MSRP of a model, the greater percentage of that model that is leased vs. bought. So that most of the NEW Lexus (pl Lexii ?) or Infinitis that are on the road are being leased. The reason, is that lease payments are significantly LESS than “buy” payments – even when the manufacturer is offering sweetheart interest rates. Its strange that Burns’ comment doesn’t mention that rather salient fact. In my case, the non-luxury car I am leasing, my lease payment is 60% of what my “buy” payment would have been, even at 0.9% financing/interest rate. For folks who are looking to minimize cash outgo in the here and now, that is probably the most relevant point.

I suspect that buying a car and holding it for 6 years vs leasing 2 x cars sequentially over that time, the cost differential is trivial.

• edited November 2016
    Question: If you buy a new car and few months later decide you don't like it you can sell/trade it and buy another. But if you lease a car for 3 or 4 years ... are you not locked into driving it for that number of years? ... I buy a new car every 5-7 years, but keep my pickup trucks about 15. Once I bought a new pickup which I quickly became unhappy with. Traded it in 6-months later on another new one (same year). Didn't do too badly - probably because the one I traded in was much in demand at the time.
    -
    PS: Edmond is right. Having now read the article, the author pays no attention to the increasingly high cost of maintaining a car beyond 4 years. I happen to be in that situation now. My 4 year old car is in need of brakes and tires. Likely some expensive cooling system service soon. And who knows what else will come up? It's still cheaper to keep an older car running - but not as cheap as the author seems to imply.

I carry $1000 deductible on the collision portion of insurance (on primary vehicle). While dropping that at 4 years would save money, my insurer would no longer be able to extend coverage to the rental vehicles I use when travelling. And buying separate rental insurance is pricy.
  • hank, to your question, leases are not set up to be terminated within a few months. Of course, if one were in that circumstance and "had" to switch out the leased car with a different car, presumably the dealer might cooperate --- for a stiff fee. But I wouldn't recommend it. Attempting to break ANY type of structured, term agreement ususally involves costs. That said, when I started my 3-year lease, the dealer rep indicated the dealer might call me after only 2 years, and try to (advantageously) get me into a new car early... All car dealerships do SO love to churn cars...

Keep in mind too, for car OWNERS (ie those who bought, rather than leased), any owner who wishes to change cars after a few months is also at an economic disadvantage -- the depreciation when ANY car drives off the dealer lot is significant. So an owner may find he is "upside down" on the note he is carrying. So while the owner is "free" to sell, selling after a few months won't be "free" in an economic sense.

Basically, whether leasing or buying, deciding to initiate a new transaction after a few months means you, the consumer will have to eat a big chunk of the depreciation. After all, the dealer won't.
  • FWIW: Article doesn't mention mileage & who is behind the wheel. Both would figure in to lease or not !
    Derf
  • He does mention 10,000 miles per year, and based on that assumption compute cost/mile. He seems to use that implicitly to infer that buying rather than leasing would create only "modest exposure to increased repair bills"

If by "mileage" you mean fuel economy, that wouldn't seem to matter if you were comparing buying or leasing the same car. Regardless of the mileage (or the price of gas), the fuel expenses would add the same cost to both choices.

Though I could see that if one had a preference for, say leasing, one might be willing to spend a little more to lease but only if the total cost wasn't too high. In that case, lousy mileage might affect one's decision to lease.
  • msf; His 10k mileage was on depreciation . I'm thinking that when your lease runs out & the lesser turns the car back in with more mileage than stipulated on the lease more money is coming out of the lesser pocket.
    Derf
  • I leased this year instead of buying. Everybody has different circumstances, but my thoughts and what I found were:
    - been driving small pick-ups for 20 years. if I don't like the sedan-Camry I was leasing, I can change again after 3 years. Buying and trading after 3 years of purchase loan payments would be hazardous to the bank account.
    - for the entire lease, the car is under warranty. No big unexpected bills.
    - I negotiated a 3 year lease from a starting point of $238/month down to $180. Again lots of room for negotiation. 'Buying' loan payments would have been $350-$550 at 1% depending on 5 or 3 year loan. That was important consideration to budget cash flow.
    - cars with higher resale values after 3 years are much better lease deals. Meaning, it is likely better to lease that Toyota versus a Chevy.
    - There is just as much room to negotiate the MSRP when leasing as if buying. In fact it is exactly the same negotiation.
    - Interest rates and other dealer or manufacturer incentives were exactly the same for leasing versus buying.
    - I have the option to buy the car after 3 years anyway, albeit at probably about 10% more than if I negotiate a comparable used car off the Used Car Lot.

Different reasons for different people. These were some of my considerations.
  • edited November 2016
    @Mike

Thanks. Good stuff. I'm wondering whether there's any difference in how one insures a leased vehicle. Can you still choose a high deductible? Any difference in cost and how the policy is written?
  • edited November 2016
    MikeM: Different strokes for different folks ! I was wondering how many miles / year or three years total can you put on your Camry before it cost you at the end of lease ?
    For the money, you've made a good choice. I like my Camry a lot ! I run 20k miles / year & decided to buy instead of lease many years ago.
    Enjoy the ride,
    Derf
    P.S. What was the down payment ?
  • edited November 2016
    @Derf: I think Mike's too busy enjoying his new car to respond. (Probably on his way out to California):)
  • Derf, I bought the 12k miles/year (36k total) mileage package. That should work out well for me even taking a few trips a year to Pittsburgh and Columbus where my 2 boys live. I can see where 20k miles a year takes you out of the leasing option. But if I go over, they charge 0.15 per mile at the end of the lease.

After I got the MSRP, which was around $26,800, to the vicinity of my Edmunds.com best deal quote, we squabbled over the trade for quite a while because that was my down payment, plus $495 to cover (I think) a transportation fee. Ended up getting $2900 for a 2003 Ford Edge-Ranger if I remember correctly, up from their initial "this is the best we can do" offer of $2000. Toyota also had a $1000 buyers incentive at the time. All in all, the Camry is a very nice ride with more bells and whistles than I've ever had before (love the navigation), but I must say I do miss the convenience of my pick-up truck. I'll have to decide what to do next in about 2 1/2 years I guess.

hank, I can't say for sure because I never asked my insurance company that question, but I believe the insurance was no different for a lease than for a purchase. I have a $1000 deductible.
  • MikeM: Thanks for your reply. Enjoy your new ride. I liked your edge on the haggling !!
    Derf
  • edited November 2016
    Derf said:

MikeM: Thanks for your reply. Enjoy your new ride. I liked your edge on the haggling !!

Derf

Ditto what Derf said. Thanks Mike

BTW - Preparing to mail in the last payment on a 4-year old '13 model. Could have paid cash at the time. But the 2% loan from local credit union was too good to pass-up. However, still feels good to have her paid off.:)

• I'm not so sure. Where I live people have been leasing Toyota Camry's for $199 no money down for 3 years for last 2 years now.
  • This subject is very timely for me, and I'd love to hear some of your opinions.

I'm going to buy a new truck before Christmas. I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma to trade in that I bought new; it has 29,000 miles on it. I have never leased before and according to what friends have told me, it might be the way to go.

I will probably buy a new Toyota or Nissan pickup. Given that I put about 5,000 miles per on my trucks, and I keep them for 5-6 years, am I better off leasing?
  • Low_Tech : FWIW= Unless you're trying to keep up with the "Jones" I'd keep the 2011 for many more years ! If you could sell it out right & use the cash as down payment for new truck, that would be better than a trade in. The run on trucks should be slowing & with that hoping pricing eases somewhat.
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving,
    Derf
  • Derf: That's not gonna happen. The days of selling my vehicles outright are long gone. Too old, too lazy. I will trade it in, and soon.

My question is, all things considered, am I better off leasing or buying?

Thanks for your reply.:D
  • edited November 2016
    Hey Low Tech,

I've never leased. But if you want to upgrade every 3-4 years it's worth a look. If there's sales tax where you live you might get a break. Many states, I've read, tax only the dollars you actually pay in lease payments (including down payment). That should be a nice savings.

I'm with Derf. A truck to me is a second vehicle and I beat up on it pretty hard - so they wouldn't want it back even after 3 or 4 years. I'd get killed on that. But only put about 3000-4000 miles a year on one - almost all local. The last F150 lasted over 15 years and I'm almost 12 years into the current '05 Silverado. Ain't cheap. But every time I've spent $$ on it it prevented me trading it in on a better one. So looking back I'm glad I've just fixed her up.

- 2 sets of brakes $1,000
    - Upgraded rims $1,000
    - Better larger mud & snows $1,000
    - New rear step-bumper $500
    - New tire rack underneath $400
    - New upgraded stereo & speakers $600
    - Spray-on bed liner $750
    - New cab corners & rockers $2500
    - Replace rusted coolant and hydraulic lines $1000

Initial price in 2005: $16,500
    Mich sales tax (6%) : $990
    Repairs and upgrades: $8,750

Cost to operate 12 years (excluding normal maintenance): $26,240

KBB puts the current trade-in value (42K miles) at about $5000.

Subtracting the current trade value ($5000) from the 12-year operational cost ($26,240) leaves a net 12-year cost of ownership of $21,240. Dividing that figure by 144 (months of ownership) leaves a net monthly operating expense of $147.50 per month.* I suspect that's far better than I would have done leasing. Further savings have been achieved by not carrying collision/comprehensive insurance for the past 7 years (once the value of the vehicle fell below $10,000).

*I omitted finance charges because vehicle was purchased with cash & trade. However, at 6% in 2005 a 4 year loan would have added an additional $2100 to cost of ownership, increasing the average cost over 12 years to $162.00 per month.
  • I'm not so sure. Where I live people have been leasing Toyota Camry's for $199 no money down for 3 years for last 2 years now.
    Hi VF. $199 no money down sounds about right for the SE model which I think is 1 step up from the basic (LE?). When I bought in May, Toyota was offering $178 or a 3 year lease with 2k down for the SE model. That car I think goes for about 24k. I started my negotiation with that price and model and was able to get them to $169 /month. When I walked around the lot like a kid in a candy store, the car I liked best was not basic SE. It had the moon roof (which I never use but it's cool), navigation, blue tooth, nicer radio, trim guard around the sides, alloy wheels, ect, ect... I think I stated earlier the MSRP was $26,800. I went home and pulled out the invoice yesterday and the MSRP on the car I bought was actually $28,500. At $180 /month, about the same Toyota offered for the basic SE, I figured I had a pretty good deal.

Anyway, long story short, there is just as much, if not more, negotiating room on a lease as there is with a buy. Leasing can be confusing, but there are web sites that explain it well.
  • @MikeM:
    A glut of used vehicles. The industry has seen this coming for a while. It works on a schedule: a wave of vehicles from lease turn-ins and rental car companies is flooding the market and is putting pressure on used car prices, and thus trade-in values and lease residuals. High trade-in values and residuals since the cash-for-clunker program have made a lot of deals possible that wouldn’t otherwise have happened.
    Hope this helps you decide.
    Derf