Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Larry Swedroe: Election Revives Old Myths

FYI: he results of the U.S. presidential election not only surprised almost all the gurus who were saying that a Hillary Clinton victory was a sure thing, but also those forecasting that, if by some miracle Donald Trump won, a stock market crash was bound to occur. Prior to the election, I had received many inquiries from investors worried about the market and what they should be doing if Trump won the presidency.

It turns out market gurus were right about one thing: The DJIA futures market crashed by more than 800 points in the first moments after it became clear that Trump was going to come out ahead.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/swedroe-election-revives-old-myths

Comments

• Great article, thanks.

Being a long term investor, I never make short term decisions, and certainly not regarding unknown events. So I sat on the sidelines the whole time and watched, and it was great entertainment.

Having ridden the '08 bear all the way down and back up since then was a great learning experience -- it has removed most of my emotions from investing, which is probably the biggest enemy of any investor.