Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Closing Bell: U.S. Stocks Post Longest Slide Since 1980,

Comments

• edited November 2016
    @Old_Skeet
    If this down draft continues,you might have to revive these threads.Your observations and insights were appreciated and well recieved by many of us.
    From January 2016...............
    Day Six & Day Seven ... Recent Selling Stampede Might Soon Be Ending
    It's Day Eight /// Surprise ... Surprise ... Surprise!!
    It's Day Nine ... Selling Stampede Continues ... Perhaps Plunge Protection Team Will Step In
    Market Day Eleven ... It's Off to the Races
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/discussions/472/Old_Skeet

ARBITRAGE CREDIT OPPORTUNITIES ACFIX
    Q3 2016 COMMENTARY
    With several quarters of positive market performance
    behind us, the fourth quarter could introduce new
    volatility and opportunities given the upcoming US
    elections, increased news flow detailing the UK’s plan
    to exit from the EU, and the specter of December
    interest rate hikes. As we saw during 2014 and 2015,
    market gains can quickly reverse as investor
    sentiment and direction rapidly change. While we may
    not be able to predict political or economic outcomes
    with certainty, we are aware of the risks and
    outcomes that can result from changing events
    https://arbitragefunds.com/restricted/get/Credit_Opportunities_Commentary.pdf

The death of retail isn't a problem for Starbucks
    Nov. 4, 2016 3:50 PM ET By: Clark Schultz, Seeking Alpha News Editor
    Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz delved into some interesting large-scale retail issues during the company's earnings call yesterday.Schultz first noted that FedEx CEO Fred Smith shared some research with him confirming the significant drop in store traffic globally amid the 'Amazon Effect" across industries -- before he really turned up the retail bear rhetoric.
    Q and A from SBUX conference call. Earnings Call Transcript (page 14-15)
    John William Ivankoe - JPMorgan Securities LLC
    Hi. Thank you. Howard, I was going to ask you to maybe apply the current environment in terms of what we're seeing both in the U.S. and around the world in the consumer environment,
    Howard S. Schultz - Starbucks Corp.3rd Q
    I was talking to Fred Smith just a couple of weeks ago about his situation at FedEx and he shared with me a piece of research which showed a significant drop in foot traffic on Main Street and in malls, not only domestically and around the world, as a result of e-commerce, the Web, and what I'll loosely describe as the Amazon effect. As a result of that, you're certainly seeing large companies and small companies not only not open new stores, but announce closures.

And let me just speak to that. I know this is a little long-winded but I think it's important. There's no doubt that over the next five years or so, we are going to see a dramatic level of retailers not be able to sustain their level of core business as a traditional bricks-and-mortar retailer, and their omni-channel approach is not going to be sustainable to maintain their cost of their infrastructure. And as a result of that, there's going to be tremendous amount of changes with regard to the retail landscape.

We believe, as we look down that pipe and look at the future, that our ability to maintain our growth in terms of new stores domestically and internationally, coupled with the fact that Starbucks still maintains a very special place in terms of a sense of community, the third place environment, and people looking for and seeking out human contact and a place to go, that as these store closures occur, and they will, that we are going to be in a very unique position five years, 10 years down the road because there's going to be a lot less people competing for those customers. I'm not talking about the coffee category; I'm talking overall.

But we are in the very, very early stages of a tremendous change in the bricks-and-mortar footprint of retailers domestically and internationally as a result of the sea change in how
    people are buying things, and that's going to have, I think, a negative effect on all of retail.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/4019416-starbucks-sbux-q4-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=15

Highlights of the Week:© 2016 Payden & Rygel
    Equities Investors have been risk averse in light of the macro uncertainties, ignoring the first positive quarterly earnings growth in seven quarters.
    Corporates: Corporate fund flows had a $2 billion out flow from mutual funds and ETFs
    Securitized highlight of the week’s deal flow was the
    $1 billion refinance of the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas by Blackstone Real Estate
    High Yield despite short-term volatility, the economic fundamentals that drive capital markets’ performance remain solid.
    Municipals: Municipal issuance in October totaled approximately $53 billion, the largest total in 30 years and up 57% year-over-year...demand remained robust and municipal funds received approximately $1.7 billion of inflows during the month
    .https://www.payden.com/weekly/wir110416.pdf