Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Twelve and a Half Cents Changed History: The Beginning Of Berkshire Hathaway

FYI: What if Walter White was played by Matthew Broderick and not Bryan Cranston? What if Phil Jackson sent Kobe Bryant to the Pistons for Grant Hill? What if free agent Tim Duncan signed with the Magic in 2000? It’s safe to say that Breaking Bad would not have won 110 Emmy awards without Bryan Cranston, and the Spurs and Lakers would not have won a combined eight championships from 2000-2010 without Kobe or Duncan.

I’m always fascinated when stories come out about how close something was to happening. The financial version of this occurred over fifty years ago in New Bedford, Massachusetts. What if Warren Buffett took one final puff of Berkshire Hathaway and then threw it in the gutter as he originally intended to?
Regards,
Ted
http://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2016/09/05/how-twelve-and-a-half-cents-changed-history/

Comments

• Thanks, Ted. Loved hearing the story.

Back in the 40's I was a kid in MA, where my family had a small dry-goods business, and of course I spent a lot of time there doing whatever odd jobs a kid my age could do, or just amusing myself. Berkshire was a very familiar name -- to this day my "mind's eye" can see the shelves & counters with boxes marked "Berkshire". Hathaway not so much -- but I do recall the ads of the guy in the white shirt with the eye patch. Warren Buffett of course was nowhere in the picture; I'm sure that even my father probably never heard of him.

Time passed, and my sis & I both rejected becoming 4th generation entrepreneurs (it was actually my steely great-grandmother who started the business behind the Post Office where she had become Post Mistress after being widowed in the 1880's). Certainly a good choice for both of us (one retired engineer, one retired college prof) -- one former store is now a prospering craft brewery, the other an empty store front. Sic transit etc -- and don't base future predictions on past events.
  • @MFO Members: The History Of Berkshire Hathaway.
    We all know that the prime investment vehicle for Warren Buffett is Berkshire Hathaway, situated in Omaha, Nebraska, but what is Berkshire Hathaway and how did Buffett get involved?
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.buffettsecrets.com/berkshire-hathaway.htm