Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

September Commentary, not to be a wiseacre, but really?

From the commentary on the advice given to students during a visit to Berkshire Hathaway:

"In a recent visit, Combs apparently suggested to the students that they target reading 500 pages a day."

I read a lot and I consider myself a fast reader, but to read 500 pages a day, even of light potato chip fiction, would basically require that your day job be reading.

Comments

• MJG
    edited September 2016
    Hi steppinrazor,

I agree that reading 500 pages per day is a challenge beyond the reach of most folks. Especially elusive if some comprehension is a target goal. Doubly elusive if, like me, your education and experience are in the scientific or engineering fields.

For most folks a reading speed between 300' and 600 words per minute is the standard. Let's use 500 WPM as a good yardstick. An average page contains 500 words so that makes the calculation easy. It takes 1 minute to read a page. A 500 page reading assignment will absorb 500 minutes or 8.3 hours. That's a heavy load each day. I would fail that assignment.

My job demanded responding to government's Request for Proposal (RFP). Often there was a page limit specified. To say more, we used small type, almost zero margins, and multiple foldout pages. Those tricks increased our word count. I doubt it ever increased the odds of our team winning a contract.

Best Regards.
  • edited September 2016
    >> elusive if some comprehension is a target goal

very droll
  • edited September 2016
    Umm ... From my grad school years I recall having to read a hellova lot over short periods. Some days I never left the dorm room or dressed beyond a pair of underwear.

So, while not sure about 500 pages a day, I do know you can consume a voracious number of pages if you really set your mind to it and otherwise exclude having a life.

:)
  • At hank: Does underware come some place between underwhere & underwear ?
    Have a good Labor Day, derf
  • edited September 2016
    Derf, I'm correcting the flaw. Blame it on the spell-checker. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • One of my colleagues refers to the tendency of her cell phone to change her spelling as the "auto incorrect" feature.

David
  • I blinked at that comment; presumed it was a misquote or misunderstanding, or a way of telling them they would never achieve his level of performance. I took a speed-reading course in high school, which might have made me a bit faster; but I'm presuming we are expecting the 16 hr day after your commute (during which you may read), so it's possible in that context, if not reasonable.