Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sequoia Fund, Inc. reopening to all investors, including through financial intermediaries

edited August 2016 in Fund Discussions
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/89043/000091957416015083/d7240544_497.htm

497 1 d7240544_497.htm

SEQUOIA FUND, INC.

Supplement dated August 22, 2016

to the Prospectus dated April 29, 2016

At a recent meeting, the Board of Directors of Sequoia Fund, Inc. (the "Fund") considered and approved offering the Fund's shares to all new investors, including those seeking to purchase shares of the Fund through financial intermediaries with which the Fund has agreements. Effective August 23, 2016, the Fund will begin accepting orders for the purchase of Fund shares from all new investors. At that time, Fund shares will be available for purchase as described in the section of the prospectus titled "Purchase and Sale of Shares" as amended by this supplement.

Accordingly, the first paragraph under the heading "Purchase and Sale of Fund Shares" on page 4 of the Prospectus is deleted in its entirety, and the first paragraph under the heading "How to Buy Shares" on page 7 of the Prospectus is deleted in its entirety.

In addition, the fourth paragraph under the heading "How to Buy Shares" on page 7 of the Prospectus is deleted in its entirety and replaced with the following:

Important Note to New Taxable Investors: As of August 16, 2016, the net unrealized appreciation of the Fund's portfolio was approximately 50.4% of the Fund's net assets. If the Fund sells appreciated securities and distributes the profit, the distributed appreciation will be taxable to you either as capital gains or as ordinary income, depending upon how long the Fund held the appreciated securities. You should carefully consider the potential tax effects prior to making an investment in the Fund.

YOU SHOULD RETAIN THIS SUPPLEMENT WITH YOUR PROSPECTUS

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

Comments

• "Please send us money, we promise to do better next time."
  • Anyone holding on to their shares?
  • I have them in my Roth account.
  • The key is the reference to taxable investors. The fact that they are reopening suggests a lot of people getting out of the fund. At the minimum don't buy before 2017 as a taxable investor and i think 2018 would be better
  • I received a capital gains distribution of of $17.24 per share on June 6. I wonder what the end of year distribution will look like?
  • I keep thinking that in the spirit of truth in advertising, they're going to change the name of the fund to Spindly Sapling.
  • edited August 2016
    I've only seen Sequoia available on Schwab aside from purchasing direct, is that the only discount broker that's offering shares at this time?

I think that Primecap and some of the pure growth indexes were beating Sequoia prior to the Valeant debacle, but I'm sure this is tempting for some collectors of mutual funds.
  • I'll pass.
  • Good one Andy.