Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Small-Cap Stocks Are On A Roll

FYI: Risk has been in style recently. And that’s been good for companies with small market values.
Regards,
Ted
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/08/04/small-cap-stocks-are-on-a-roll/

The S&P 600 is up 4.01% YTD

Counterpoint: "Stop Carrying The Torch For Small Caps — No Matter What Payrolls Tell Us":
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/stop-carrying-the-torch-for-small-caps-no-matter-what-payrolls-tell-us-2016-08-05/print

Comments

• edited August 2016
    One of my small/mid cap funds, PMDAX, is indeed on a year-to-date roll ... up 16.6% ... plus, it sports a nice dividend!
  • thanks for the heads up Ted and Skeet. Is there a way to get the load waived on PMDAX? Any thoughts on Wasatch Core Growth? curious if you are adding funds to this asset class...
  • @MFO Members: In afternoon trading the S&P SmallCap 600 is up 1.40% , and the Russell 2000 1.50%. The trend is your friend !
    Regards,
    Ted

• Old_Skeet
    11:33AM edited 11:35AM Flag
    One of my small/mid cap funds, PMDAX, is indeed on a year-to-date roll ... up 16.6% ... plus, it sports a nice dividend!
    MikeW
    11:44AM Flag
    thanks for the heads up Ted and Skeet. Is there a way to get the load waived on PMDAX? Any thoughts on Wasatch Core Growth? curious if you are adding funds to this asset class...
    PMDAX.lw NTF at Schwab: $100 basic, same for IRA. But PMDIX with .86 ER at Scottrade for same amounts but $17 TF. Haven't looked at other third parties.
  • edited August 2016
    Hi @MikeW,

Thanks for the question.

For me, I am thinking of again rebalancing my portfolio and trimming back my allocation in equities. According to last Friday edition (July ending) of the WSJ the S&P 500 Index is selling at a TTM P/E Ratio of 25.0. For me, most equities are too richly priced for me to even think of adding to current positions (much less opening new positions) as I am in the trim mode keeping equities at about 45% of my asset allocation.

Now, if we should get a good pullback (10% range) in the near term I most likely will become a buyer in equities and add to some current positions; and, then perhaps after the rebound lighten up in some other positions. With this, a rebalance within my equity allocation itself.

Thus far, PMDAX has been a great fund for me; and, one that I have owned for about five years. It makes up about 60% of my small/mid cap sleeve found in the growth area of my portfolio. The other two small/mid cap funds that I own in this sleeve are ABSAX and PCVAX.
  • edited August 2016
    MSCFX +13.19 YTD. I always trim and consolidate just after the New Year. This one has been a good one for me. I bought it first in 2012 at $12.59. (Edit: Friday, 05 Aug: up +14.78%.)
  • SMDV has also been on fire and sort of surprising that it's performance since last year has been so strong. Definitely one of the most compelling options I've seen in a while
  • edited August 2016
    Consider DES (Wisdomtree Small Cap E.T.F.) in lieu of PMDIX?
  • edited August 2016
    Ted said:

@MFO Members: In afternoon trading the S&P SmallCap 600 is up 1.40% , and the Russell 2000 1.50%. The trend is your friend !
    Regards,
    Ted

Yes ... But ... June '15 still not exceeded - another 52pts to go. Is that telling us something?

The only thing I can think about that today's action is telling us is that maybe the FED hike won't happen. Small caps are thought to be interest rate sensitive.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/^RUT/?p=^RUT