Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach In Jeopardy Of Losing ‘Bond King’ Crown

FYI: Bond King” Jeff Gundlach may be losing his fixed-income mojo! A recent Fortune.com article reports that the prominent bond guru, who founded DoubleLine Capital, is underperforming his peers and the benchmark Barclays Aggregate Bond Index.

The DoubleLine Total Return Bond Fund DBLTX, -0.09% is among the bottom tier of comparable funds, according to recent ranking of bond funds compiled by Morningstar
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gundlach-in-jeopardy-of-losing-bond-king-crown-2016-07-15/print

Comments

• B4 I clicked on the link, I formulated a theory as to what might have contributed to the underperformance vs. AGG. -- I then clicked on the link, and found JG's explanation mirrored mine.

I then contrast the UNDERperformance of DBLTX with the superior recent OVERperformance noted in another thread of the Hoisington fund and Vanguard Extended Treasury funds. --- Both take elongated duration risk, but invest overwhelmingly in (credit-) safe Treasurys. The AGG of course, is also overwhelmingly Treasurys and (Fed-backed) Agencies -- which effectively means its another "safety trade".

There are times when UNDERperformance is a virtue, not a vice. I suspect this is one of those times. I also note, that as of a couple weeks back, the guys running PTTRX/BOND -- pretty sharp cookies they --- were also UNDER-performing AGG. JG has good company in the UNDERperformers club. I suspect both JG and the PIMCO guys will be vindicated in the end.
  • Except for Mr. Gundlach, does anyone CARE?
  • Glad still have tsp bonds which mirrored agg