Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jeffrey Gundlach talk on web today July 12

Comments

• More Thoughts from Mr Gundlach in Tue.July 12th Webcast

Asset Allocation Webcast

Please join us for a live webcast titled "Asset Allocation" hosted by:

Jeffrey Gundlach

Mr. Gundlach will be discussing the economy, the markets and his outlook for what he believes may be the best investment strategies and sector allocations for the DoubleLine Core Fixed Income Fund (DBLFX/DLFNX) and Flexible Income Fund (DFLEX/DLINX).

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

1:15 pm PT/4:15 pm ET/3:15 pm CT

Register
    https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1085766
  • TSP _Transfer: Give out my name and phone number over the internet, are you crazy ! Instead you give that information, and then give a indepth report of 20 works or less to MFO'ers
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Jeffrey Gundlach was surprised by all the questions asking when the 10yr will get to 1%. He also noted the rush to buy LQD and the massive inflow. He said that although the 10yr took out the the 2012 low yield, it did not hold. Buying Treasuries is not a smart trade according to Mr Gundlach.

Also, he likes emerging market debt over high yield debt because of better value per risk.
  • edited July 2016
    @Ted ! Isn't this about the time of year for you to take your annual golfing sabbatical ? More time for you to spend on the "links" and a lot less meaningless "links"for the rest of
    us MFO'ers."Hot air " in the Midwest and a high compression golf ball will get you off the tee like the big dog you envision yourself.

You Can Do It !!!
    Right click for a link to another attention seeker.
  • edited July 2016
    Here's a good take on Mr Gundlach/s presentation.Three hours before he made it !!

WAVE SAFETY GOODBYE
    Bonds Gone Wild Abandon Savers

Jul 12, 2016 12:02 PM CDT by Lisa Abramowicz, a Bloomberg Gadfly columnist covering the debt markets.
    http://www.bloomberg.com
    At first glance, it’s been an amazingly good year for bond investors.Almost every type of bond has done well. Their values have soared in the face of seemingly endless central bank stimulus.
    And yet here's the paradox of bond investing in 2016: While U.S. government bonds have posted their biggest return for a similar period since 1995, this is probably the most harrowing time in history for people who are responsible savers -- those who count on these safer notes for regular, reliable income.

EVAPORATING YIELD
    This year's tremendous returns have stemmed almost entirely from increasing bond prices. But prices aren't reliable -- they fluctuate on rumors, the weather, random policy maker statements and any number of ephemera.
    ..Buyers of these "safe" bonds are now betting that prices will continue their trajectory into mind-boggling high levels,
    Given the backdrop of slowing global growth and record low interest rates, prices may rise further. Still, the more bonds continue their historic performance, the less comfortable it is to own them for the safety set.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/columnists/AQJIVP98p_c/lisa-abramowicz/articles/2016-07-12/bonds-gone-wild-exhilarate-everyone-but-safety-seekers
    Not sure I heard this. @Junkster Prescient ?? My guess.Look for a Long/Short offering from DoubleLine.He bragged about an off-shoot fund ( private ? ) he has managed with out-sized returns this ytd with a short bias. Not Mr Gundlach's best effort.I usually have found his previous web-casts more entertaining and worth a few laughs with his ironic witticism .Dog days of summer I guess.
    Markets | Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24pm EDT
    'Big money' to be made if stocks fail to stay near current highs: Gundlach
    NEW YORK | By Jennifer Ablan
    Jeffrey Gundlach, chief executive officer of DoubleLine Capital, said on Tuesday that there is "big money" to be made on the "short side" if equities fail to stay near current highs.

Gundlach, who oversees more than $100 billion at Los Angeles-based DoubleLine Capital, said on a webcast that he has been selectively betting against shares in the Standard & Poor's 500 index and continues to favor emerging market bonds over high-yield "junk" debt. Gundlach, known on Wall Street as the "Bond King," told Reuters after the webcast: “A minor new high in the S&P might be rejected, which is what happened with U.S. Treasuries."
    Gundlach, who is known for his bold, prescient predictions including last year's oil-price plunge and China's slowdown, defended his stance on high-yield junk bonds.

Junk bonds, which came under severe selling pressure earlier this year before recovering, are "dangerous because of their declining recovery rates," Gundlach said.

He added it was the "right" decision to purchase emerging market debt over junk bonds. Emerging market debt has posted returns of roughly 11 percent so far this year, compared with 11.21 percent for junk bonds.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-funds-doubleline-gundlach-idUSKCN0ZS2QQ

• @TSP_Transfer: Question ? Which one is you, the baby on the left, or the Bullmastiff on the right ?
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/profile/1467/TSP_Transfer
  • Moderators...might be time to close this thread
  • @Bitzer: I agree, but not until I find out which one is TPS_Transfer, I think he's the one on the right, but I'm not sure !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reuters has been a Jeff Gundlach "groupie" and only write favorable articles about him. But Fortune has written a more balance piece:
    fortune.com/2016/07/14/jeffrey-gundlach-bond-king-doubleline/