Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

D-Day June 6, 1944:

FYI: From 1941 to 1944 America and its allies pursued the goal of defeating "Germany First." Their strategy rested on a key assumption, ultimately there would have to be a massive invasion of Northwest Europe aimed at the heart of the Axis empire. This would reduce German pressure on the Soviet Union by creating a true "second front" in Europe. Germany would be trapped between the Soviets in the east and the Americans and British in the west.

By 1943 success on the battlefield and production in the factories made it possible to begin formal planning for this bold operation,the largest amphibious invasion in history. The target date was spring 1944.

In Berlin, Hitler understood that an invasion would come. Fortification of the coast of Northwest Europe was already underway. In 1943 its pace accelerated and more troops were posted in the west. The Germans expected the invasion in early 1944. They knew that it would determine the war's outcome. What they did not know was precisely when and where the Allies would strike.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.nationalww2museum.org/learn/education/for-students/ww2-history/d-day-june-6-1944.html?utm_source=googleppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=d-day&gclid=CK78nMCWk80CFQQpaQod5SYGlQ

Normandy Surviving D-Day:

Comments

• MJG
    edited June 2016
    Hi Guys,

Ted, thank you for your reminder.

From George Santayana " Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Yes, indeed that's so. Rommel knew that the battle on the beaches would be decisive. Here is a Link to the song presented by West Point cadets:

Enjoy and remember.

Today, there are no WW II survivors who served in the military. History is now are only link to that eventful "longest day". I had an uncle, long gone, who participated. He sure did remember that day.

Edit: Thanks to davidrmoran's later post, I corrected the Santayana attribution. Thank you for alerting me to that attribution error.

Best Wishes.
  • edited June 2016
    @MJG
    You stated: "Today, there are no WW II survivors who served in the military."
    Say what?
    I just spoke with a 94 year old from our city, a WWII B-25 pilot; last Wednesday. I met 2, B-17 flight crew members last August from my area, but they may have passed since.
  • @MJG: Nice follow-up !
    Regards,
    Ted USMC
  • MJG
    edited June 2016
    Hi Catch22,

You might be right. I didn't research that statement. I got the impression that time has taken its relentless toll from the following article on a 110 year old survivor from Lousiana who passed recently:

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2016/05/05/110-year-old-wwii-veteran-louisiana-dies/83986320/

He was the oldest, not the only survivor. I miss remembered the article. I accept your first-hand experience. That's definite and decisive.

Good for these few survivors. They are a link to our history that is not well understood or appreciated by our younger folks. All military who fought in WW II are heroes and deserve our respect for their service and sacrifices.

God Bless them all.

Best Wishes.

• @MJG
    The below link provides various data about WWII vets, including those alive by state. The data is from this year. Your linked article was relative to the "oldest, by age, known" WWII veteran. I recall seeing this on tv.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/honor/wwii-veterans-statistics.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
  • MJG
    edited June 2016
    Hi Catch,22,

Yes, as I observed in my last post, I was mistakenly recalling the report of the oldest veteran's death as the death of the very last veteran. Sorry for that error. It most likely will not be my last. That's a fairly safe prediction.

Thanks for the correction and the added information.

The main thrust of this thread is to honor the heroism and courage of our troops on this tipping point day. We had many such tipping points during WW II like on the battle for Midway in the Pacific. Outcomes depended on a thin, unpredictable, even unlikely set of circumstances and happenings. Luck always seems to enter the equation in unforeseen ways.

Not wanting to disrespect the serious theme of this post, but investing has similar attributes. Luck and timing are crucial elements. Our forecasts always miss some of these elements because of the complex interactive character of all the possible outcomes.

I will always remember June 6 1944 with tears in my eyes and pride in my heart. Visiting Omaha Beach is a memorable experience especially when you see a young couple wheeling a baby carriage down an almost empty beach. It was a different world in '44.

Best Wishes.
  • How ironic judges and politicians lie in state and grand funerals and the real heroes die without notice !!! What a bunch of phonies .
  • edited June 2016
    >> From Carlos Santana: "Those who do not remember ..."

No, no; dude, you're thinking of:

Some songs are just tattoos for your brain; you hear them and they're affixed to you.

lolz! This made my day.
  • I've read the history and seen the documentaries, and I stand humbled and in awe. Too many sacrificed everything on D-Day. Long live their memory and sense of duty. Myself? I was born a year after the Korean war ended.