Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

On Leadership

MJG
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

Last night I watched the “12 O’ Clock High” movie. I originally saw it on the Big Screen about 1950 while on a high school date. At that time I didn’t realize how really good it was; how many lessons on Leadership it illustrated. On my second viewing, I recognized its instructive values.

I highly recommend it. Nowadays it is available on the Netflix site for free. Please give it a look/see if you have access. It is both solid entertainment and a leadership lesson integrated into a spellbinding 2 hour plus presentation. Gregory Peck is terrific as the commanding Army Air Force officer.

Informed and competent leadership is a necessary ingredient for a satisfying, successful, and useful life. Leadership matters, especially when times are tough.

If you don’t have easy access to the film, I recommend an alternative that is not so entertaining, but it does present most of the necessary leadership attributes. It is the US Army Leadership field manual, FM 6-22. It too is free for the asking. Here is a Link to that field manual:

http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/Repository/Materials/fm6-22.pdf

Enjoy. A few years ago I gave hard copies of the manual to family members. I suspect it contributed to their successes. I hope it will do the same for you.

By the way, the “12 O’ Clock High” title refers to the usual position of attacking fighter planes when challenging a day-light bombing mission. We lost many courageous men completing those missions.

Best Regards.

Comments

• @MJG & MFO Members; A great movie !
    Gregory Peck received a Best Actor OSCAR® nomination for his powerful performance in this thrilling war drama. After the 918 Bomb Group suffers devastating losses during World War II, Brigadier General Frank Savage (Peck) is sent to take command of the unit. Although at first his men resent the tough.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @davidmoran - Interesting read. Culture plays a part in determining the definition of a leader.

I spent many of my early years in Southeast Asia as my father was a diplomat posted to various embassies in the region and I've spent time in China learning Mandarin. I've found that corporate and political leaders in Asia often, though not all, are level headed and thoughtful people. The common Mandarin Chinese description of westerners is "bold and unrestrained", an extremely accurate description of The Donald. It's not a flattering description of a person in Chinese and other Asian cultures.

My point is that leadership qualities valued in the USA are often not leadership qualities valued in other countries and cultures, especially in Asia. The Donald represents an exceptionally good example of a western leadership style which is looked down upon in other parts of the world.

• @PopTart- Actually, you needn't go to other parts of the world.:)
  • PT, very very good points. Diplomats are so wise sometimes. My Japan-born father and his parents (missionaries) would certainly have concurred in your takes even before they joined the Navy and Marines to defeat their former countrymen.

Don't start with the prez politics; you could not be righter.
  • edited May 2016
    @ OJ - yep, I reckon I'm stating the obvious, both here and abroad...:)
  • Hi Guys,

Thank you for participating. I especially liked the reference that Davidrmoran provided.

Leadership means different things to different folks. I tend to measure it by results, as long as those outcomes were controlled by skill and not luck. Sometimes that distinction is hard to identify.

I like Peter Drucker's definition: "Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things."

The referenced movie featured good leadership.

Best Wishes.
  • edited May 2016
    Right, sure, if only it were so simple!
    One can do all sorts of right things and others will never follow.
  • In the military, you follow orders, and the chain of command is clear. "12 O'clock High" is fabulous! Everywhere else, leaders are trying to herd cats.
  • "Herding cats". The equivalent phrase in Thailand is "like putting crabs in a basket" i.e. they jump right out of a basket due to their many legs.