Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Beer By Any Other Name

TedTed
edited May 2016 in Off-Topic
FYI: A beer by any other name is still panther piss !
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36260352

Comments

• Amen, and I put any lite beer in the same category.
  • Best comment I've seen - Bud Lite will now be called "Canada".
  • edited May 2016
    "The Belgian-Brazilian company controls nearly 25% of the world's beer market."

Letting any one company control 25% of the world's anything can't be a good idea. Glad the government(s) is/are looking out for us!
  • Hi @msf
    Don't post what you wrote on any Canadian blog. You'll be tracked down and........ :)
  • I don't believe in mixing nationalism or politics with my drinking. Bad for both. So I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • @Ted -- You just need to check out some good craft beers -- maybe a porter or stout from a craft brewer.;)
  • edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: I was simply trying to have a little fun with the Bud name change. No matter what you call it, Bud is a lousy beer. But no you make a federal case out of it. Take two aspirins, better yet take the whole bottle and then you won't have to worry about calling me in the morning !!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I drink beer. Foster's, Leinenkugel or MGD
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice - I'm no beer connoisseur (do not and in most cases cannot drink it), but your ice cream discussion is something I can speak to.

It's not just foodstuffs where manufacturing is consolidating. For example, look at commercial aircrafts. McDonnell, Douglas, Lockheed, Learjet, .... all gone. Boeing and Airbus, and then bit players. (There's the 25%+ market share that OJ wrote about.)

But back to ice cream. IMHO the 2010 Unilever "all natural" brouhaha, while technically correct, was a tempest in a teapot. What strikes me as worse is that Unilever has ruined or destroyed two brands. And don't get me started on their novelties like Good Humor.

B&J was damaged by altering flavors - with cheaper ingredients, notably replacing Heath Bars with generic toffee. That was allegedly to be GMO-free, a story B&J is sticking to.

Unilever totally destroyed Breyers All Natural Ice Cream. Used to have ingredient lists like: milk, sugar, cream, strawberries. All natural went out the window years ago. Ice cream soon followed (most of the flavors now are "dairy dessert" - they no longer qualify to be called ice cream). But the price is half what it would be otherwise. A race to the bottom.

Haagen Dazs is a different story. It's been 1/3 of a century since Pillsbury acquired it in 1983. I don't think the 40+ crowd is saying that it used to be better decades ago. More recently (1999) it started being manufactured with Nestles. I haven't noticed a decline in quality. Others?

• My latest addiction is Haagen Dazs' strawberry ice cream. It is bordering on spectacular.
  • edited May 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice It's interesting to observe what is allowed to be called "ice cream" (there are laws regulating this), and what the faux manufacturers say.

In the US, to be ice cream, the product has to be at least 10% dairy fat.

In India (I gather from the article below) the product has to be made without certain additives (this seems closer to what you had in mind). Curiously, eggs are not allowed, even though they appear in some western ice creams, including Haagen Dazs.

NYTimes, "Remembering When Ice Cream Was, You Know, IceCream" (4/15/2013)
    NDTV, Ice Cream Vs. Frozen Desert - the Chilling Truth (5/17/2016)

In India, the general manager of Hindustan Unilever Limited says that "ice cream and frozen desert give similar eating experience." Yet in the US, the brand-building director for Unilever's US ice cream says "People are telling us, 'We want a smoother texture'" that comes from less dairy fat.

Similar feel, dissimilar feel. Does Unilever know what it is doing?

I agree with you about Turkey Hill Natural - it's become my go-to ice cream (like traditional Breyers, it's premium not superpremium ice cream). Here's a column with interesting list (at the end) of ice creams based on how natural and pure they are:
    http://mamavation.com/2015/06/dont-scream-for-this-toxic-ice-cream.html

Strauss has a great reputation on the west coast. Talenti changed its formulations a couple of years ago - they removed "gluten free" from the labels and the taste went downhill. (BTW, Alden's, like most ice creams, contains no gluten ingredients but is made in a plant with wheat, whatever that means.)
  • As for frozen treats, there is of course, gelato. Best served in Italy.
  • If you get to Wisconsin, you should really try some of the New Glarus beer. My favorite is Stone Soup but it's out of production now; Spotted Cow and Two Women are nice runners-up. It's been described as the brewery "hell bent on not taking over the world."

Not only will they only sell their beer in Wisconsin, they'll pursue legal action against places that try to sell it out-of-state in violation of their distribution agreements; a bar in Minnesota got nailed for smuggling New Glarus out of state to sell to misplaced Cheddarheads.

David
  • @ David_Snowball. Thanks for the kind words for the local brewery . Next time you venture across the border try some of WI. best, cheese.
    Derf
  • @MFO Members: Now that Dubuque Star Beer has long gone to beer heaven, I recommend a trip to Potosi and Monroe Wisconsin, where you will find Potosi and Huber Beer's. No their not craft, but have been brewed for over a hundred years the good old fashion way by German brew masters. Then, if get time head north up to Chippewa Falls Wis. where you find Leinenkugel.
    Ein Prosit !
    Ted
  • @ Ted: Thanks for mentioning my home town, Monroe, WI. For more info on second oldest brewery still producing beer & now a distillery, google Minhas.

Cheers, Derf
  • edited May 2016
    Interesting that a Belgium-Brazilian company plans to promote American nationalism on one of their canned concoctions. Hopefully, downing one more "Bud for the road" in the name of motherland before leaving the party won't lead to more traffic fatalities this summer. Some of the stuff marketed under their Beck's Brand ain't too bad. But I'm inclined to steer clear of all their names. Not much of a beer drinker anyway. Bottle or or two of relatively inexpensive Killian's Red goes down well with dinner.

From Wikipedia:: "Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV (abbreviated as AB InBev) is a multinational Belgian-Brazilian beverage and brewing company headquartered in Leuven, Belgium ... AB InBev was formed through successive mergers of three international brewing groups: Interbrew from Belgium, AmBev from Brazil, and Anheuser-Busch from the United States. It is the world's largest brewer and has a 25 percent global market share.

It has 16 brands that individually generate more than US$ 1 billion annually in revenue ... This portfolio includes ... Budweiser, Corona and Stella Artois, Beck's, Hoegaarden and Leffe ... Bud Light, Skol, Brahma, Antarctica, Quilmes, Victoria, Modelo Especial, Michelob Ultra, Harbin, Sedrin, Klinskoye, Sibirskaya Korona, Chernigivske and Jupiler." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch_InBev

• @MFO Members: Two miles from my house, the world's best Geloto, is healthier and taste better than ice cream !
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.zarlengositalianice.com/gelato.html