Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dilbert on Trump

Interesting take on how the Donald is using his "Art of the Deal" skills now. See link: http://blog.dilbert.com/post/144105138301/the-apology-gambit

Comments

• TedTed
    edited May 2016
    @BillH: I'd be very caeful about what you say about the next President of the United States.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Actually, the observations in Bill's link are quite accurate, and not really "political", in the sense of favoring one candidate or another. Rather, some very interesting commentary on how a skillful media manipulator, of any persuasion, can shape media reactions and those of us who may be influenced by that media. Like it or not, Trump is very skilful in this sort of gamesmanship, and if indeed he does become the next president, he will owe that to his ability in this area.
  • edited May 2016
    About two years ago board member JohnN inquired about potential Black Swans which could upset the markets. In typical know-it-all fashion I prophesied an electoral deadlock in Florida between Clinton and Bush in November 2016 which might have that effect (and reiterated that more recently). At the time I assumed the electoral deadlock would be resolved by a majority decision of the U.S. Supreme Court, which bailed us out of the Bush v. Gore mess in 2000.

Yikes! I seriously underestimated the ominousity of these potential birds.

No humor here OJ. Just looking at various far away destinations for November. Stay strong Mr. Market.

• edited May 2016
    @Hank- You're absolutely right- no humor here. Not certain "ominousity" is a legit word, but it should be, with respect to this situation.

BTW, as I recall, the U.S. Supreme Court bailed us into the Bush v. Gore mess in 2000.
  • edited May 2016
    Donald Trump Pizza Perfect for "Little Tiny Fingers"
    Vinnie's Pizza in Portland, Oregon, unveils a Trump-inspired pie called The Wall
    The Trump-style testimonial continues at the bottom of the flyer and ends with a pitch that’s surely unique in the annals of pizza making. “You can use cash, credit card or send the bill to Mexico,” the text states. “They’ll pay for it. I guarantee the Mexicans will pay for it.”

http://www.pmq.com/May-2016/Donald-Trump-Pizza-Perfect-for-Little-Tiny-Fingers/
  • @MFO Members: Commander-In-Chief Trump has a certain ring to it, don't you think ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • As in "Lord Of The"?
  • edited May 2016
    Ted, you meant: a certain ominousity.
  • edited May 2016
    ... Scott Adams, the creator of “Dilbert,” got insight into the type of personality that loves not only the challenge of game strategy, but also the thrill of overwhelming the competition. It is the sport of meticulously plotted domination.

And that is part of why Adams believes Donald Trump will win the presidency. In a landslide.
    (Scott Adams / Universal Uclick 1991)

Donald Trump will win in a landslide. *The mind behind ‘Dilbert’ explains why.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/03/21/donald-trump-will-win-in-a-landslide-the-mind-behind-dilbert-explains-why/?tid=a_inl

edited to add the blockquotes
  • Adams is world-class cynic and always has been, so we will see if predictive data defeat his keen acuity into us gulls.