Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What Are You Buying, Selling or Pondering?

2»

Comments

• You guys who like to speculate short-term might want to take a look at VXX and consider attempting small plays.
  • Speaking for myself there is little speculating going on. I'm looking for solid income producers, selling at reasonable valuations, with a history of increasing their income payouts over time. Nothing glamorous here.
  • edited May 2016
    Over the past few days, I have been thinking over some of the comments made by some posters.

Thought 1) Let's say an invstor was passively invested 100% in equities in the S&P 500 Index (SPY). What would their year-to-date returns be? I compute this return to be about 0.5% (one half of one percent).

Thought2) Let's say another investor was passively invested 50% stocks (SPY) & 50% bonds (AGG). What would their returns be? I compute the return for this investment mix to be about 2.25%.

Thought 3) Let's say another investor held a good number of actively engaged balanced mutual funds (I'll use the Lipper Balanced Index as a proxy here). What would their returns be? In looking this information up I find it to be about 1.8%.

Thought 4) Let's see how Old_Skeet's master portfolio compares to the others? In review of my portfolio tracking spreadsheet I am finding this number to be about 2.5% which includes my large cash possition. In addition, it includes the profit made during the January & February market swoon and its rebound.

Thought 5) Let's see how a mutual fund that has an adaptive invstment strategy has performed. I'll use CTFAX as my proxy here. In checking its performance I am finding that it has returned about 2.8% ytd.

With this, it appears, for me, thus far this year it has been of benefit to be have been actively engaged. Through the years I have found in doing analysis of active vs. passive strategies at times active strategies will leed and at times a passive strategy will leed. I am thinking that perhaps the most important thing for an investor is to have a long term perspective and to follow their strategy. For me, I try to engage the market with new money once the Index falls below it's 52 week mean line and then sell some off after it has rebounded (booking a profit) while staying within my portfolio's asset allocation ranges for invested assets; and, adjusting the allocation mix when I feel it is warranted or something has changed. Please note, an adaptive strategy can be very simple in form or that it can be complex and include many parts.

Again, this is just my thinking and what I have found to work best for me. I also agree that a passive strategy might work better for some.
  • bought 1/4 position in CMG. will buy more if market gives it to me. Pondered taking position but missed the move in GLD as negative rates drives people away from currencies.
  • Hi Old_Skeet!
    Have sold all I wanted to. Am now getting a buying list together. Looking for more income now since I think the market has topped again. So, looking at AIUTX, PYULX, PTIAX---what do you think about them? Are there any better ones that you see? As I do expect weakness to this way come.....'til this election thing is over. And, by the way, Trump stunned me with the debt thing. I do not think my father nor his would approve of such a thing. I do not. Also, you pay what you owe....it's the American way....at least around here.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Puddnhead: What have you been smoking ? AIUTX PYULX ???????????????????????
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted!
    Great post. When I retire, I intend to smoke some.......and your recommendation is, what? You must like PITAX, yes?
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • Still would like to know was is AIUTX and PYULX ? A fund, stock, preferred stock, bond, secret code, computer password, licence plate,.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted!
    You are good. I understand you were a teacher....I see why. I stand ready for my punishment. I wish I could say it's Duke's fault, but I can't. So, IAUTX and PYVLX. I will try to do better. I do like the secret code and license plate thing, though. Very funny!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Pudd: Your the best, no punishment this time, but don't dare do it again !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ted said:

@MFO Members: Reestablishing a position in FTR. Inproved earnings and outlook for remainder of 2016 and 2017 plus nice 7.5% dividend for income , in the Linkster's opinion warrant a buy.
    Regards,
    Ted

Ted, I assume you are aware about Frontier's recent acquisition woes. In my opinion, Frontier is headed for a big customer exodus, and will have a poor return on their investment, unless they can get this straightened out very quickly. They have provided California, Florida, and Texas customers with possibly the worst large scale conversion experience from Verizon assets in the history of Telecom. Its been over a month since they took over, and there are no signs of stabilizing or showing expertise in managing a FIOS network. Customer service is non-existent and their excuses are laughable. Check out their Facebook page and you'll get a feeling for the customer angst.
  • @andalf: I'm well aware of FTR problems, but given it's yield, the reason I bought it, I'm willing to take a chance and have several stops in place. Appreciate your imput.
    Regards,
    Ted