Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chuck Jaffe: How A Big Bet On One Bad Stock Broke A Legendary Mutual Fund

TedTed
edited March 2016 in Fund Discussions
FYI: (This is a follow-up to the follow-up to the follow-up, I think Chuck's a little late to the party !)

In the stock market, there are bad times — and then there is what the Sequoia Fund is going through.

Bad doesn’t even begin to describe the situation for Sequoia SEQUX, -0.64% one of the most legendary mutual funds, which has seen its reputation torched by a bad bet on a controversial stock. The fund’s fall from grace culminated in the resignation of a co-manager after a 45-year career with Sequoia’s management company
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-a-big-bet-on-one-bad-stock-broke-a-legendary-mutual-fund-2016-03-26/print

Sequoia's One Year Performance As 3/24/16: Source M*
1-Day (-0.64)
1-Wk. -(0.13)
1-Mo. -(7/19)
3-Mo. -(14.13)
YTD -(11.55)
1-Yr. -(24.03)

Comments

• The fund’s annual shareholder meeting will take place on May 20 in the Grand Ballroom of the Plaza Hotel in New York City.
    Come, join the fun!:)
  • beebee
    edited March 2016
    Please check my math:

With $5.5 Billion AUM, SEQUX with its 1% ER nets $55 million in annual fees. These annual fees are obviously impacted by recent poor fund performance, but in a year when shareholders absorb a 25% share price loss, management will still collect close to $46 million in fees (based on 25% less assets under management due to a 25% drop in the fund's share price).

Share holders selling out of this fund would cause a 100% management fee loss and might be about the only way to properly voice their disapproval of management decision making.
  • TedTed
    edited March 2016
    @bee & MFO Members: In addition to bee's math, on this date,3/26/15, one year ago SEQUX was selling for $252.00 per share.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • bee, it seems to me that SEQUX will be collecting $46 million in annual fees when and if their AUM goes down to $4.6 billion (and the ER is 1%). According to fundmojo.com, AUM as of 02/2016 was $6.04 billion, and AUM as of 05/2015 (the oldest date listed) was $9.04 billion. I believe that AUM decreased because of the drop in share price and shareholder withdrawals.