Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Greatest Investors

FYI: Becoming a successful investor takes education, patience and maybe even a little luck.

Historically, the market has returned a solid 12% per year on average. The icons we'll present here represent the pinnacle of the financial world. Each one has dramatically exceeded market performance. They have all made a fortune off their success and in many cases, they've helped millions of others achieve similar returns.

These investors differ widely in the strategies and philosophies they applied to their trading; some came up with new and innovative ways to analyze their investments, while others picked securites almost entirely by instinct. Where these investors don't differ is in their ability to consistently beat the market.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investopedia.com/university/greatest/

Comments

• I would say my biggest investment mistake over the years--which keeps me from being included in the ranks of the greatest investors--has been my selling stocks/funds/real estate at the wrong times. Fear does that. If I had just kept everything I had ever owned, and sold nothing, ever, I would be a very rich fellow.
  • My biggest mistakes were listening to people here about investing in the hot stock catigories. By the time we start talking about the hot sectors on a discussion board, you are already getting in towards the top. Commodities, minors, gold, ect... I did learn my lesson and not jump into th MLP discussions. I'm teachable.
  • MikeM said:

My biggest mistakes were listening to people here about investing in the hot stock catigories. By the time we start talking about the hot sectors on a discussion board, you are already getting in towards the top. Commodities, minors, gold, ect... I did learn my lesson and not jump into th MLP discussions. I'm teachable.

Nice post Mike. Don't get me going on that topic. And don't get me going about the MLP/oil/railroad/ or whatever stock it may be guru here (now no longer posting) There is nothing wrong about being wrong. I am wrong as much, if not more than anyone. But there is a lot wrong about never taking accountability about being wrong. As I have said before, investors seem to be suckered by those who know how to articulate and appear to be knowledgeable - aka the cult of the so-called expert.

One time and only one time did I ever buy anything recommended on this board and that was PONDX back in 2012 by bee. Got out after its momentum slowed in early 2013 and will always be grateful to bee for bringing it to my attention. Otherwise, if you want returns greater than the average investor you need to think for yourself, develop your own specific methodology, do your own research and uncover your own stocks/funds. But that is hard work requiring lots of discipline/commitment and who wants to work hard anyway for outsized returns? Don't get suckered into the groupthink so prevalent on the various forums - even the forums that are a cut above the rest like MFO.