Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Consolidating M/C funds-Help

I am looking to consolidate my M/C funds; i'm leaning towards "blend" but would consider "value". It will be in a taxable account; currently the funds I own are NOT tax efficient at all, so that is an important factor at this point. I also have a long-term time horizon of 10+ years.

I'm not looking for a world beater, just something with good metrics and solid returns. My research has identifed several candidates, three of which i would like your opinion, thoughts and suggestions on.

GVMCX (Government Street Mid-Cap)

BALIX (Barrow Value Opportunity)

PARMX (Parnassus Mid Cap)

They have good metrics, are fairly tax efficient and have category beating long and short-term returns. It also appears they have the ability to scour the market spectrum for investments.

Any and all thoughts, opinions, suggestions on these or other funds is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• TedTed
    edited January 2016
    @Matt: Here is a list that ranks MCB Funds from U.S. News & World Report for what its worth. GVMCX is ranked #7, PARMX is rank #20, while BALIX is unranked.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/mid-cap-blend
  • FLPSX and NICSX are the two famous longterm leaders, but I assume there is a reason you are not looking at them.
  • Thanks for your reply gentlemen!

Ted, I do see that US News has two of them them ranked, but they don't give you much analysis. I do like that they are ranked fairly high. Do you have any thoughts about them?

davidrmoran, FLPSX did come up in my search but it is more like a world stock fund (35+% non US), so I eliminated it. I have to look at NICSX and see why it did not make the cut; thank you for the suggestion!

Matt
  • Roger. I would revisit FLPSX myself, as that manager is an acknowledged researcher and leader in stockpicking. With his staff. It is a big fund with lots of holdings, so there are always reasons to reject it. Every time I have done so over the last decades I have regretted it, though.
  • edited January 2016
    UMBMX for compare and contrast; it has more of a growth orientation sometimes but is pretty disciplined in not overpaying for it.

• My wife holds FLPSX in her 401k and she is rarely disappointed with it, so maybe you are right davidrmoran, I will have to reconsider it!

Thank you for the UMBMX suggestion heezsafe!
  • I invest mostly in actively managed funds, but iShares Core S&P Mid-Cap (IJH), an ETF, seems to do OK, with a low tax cost ratio.

I use a similar, lower cost (.05% ER) institutional version of BlackRock Midcap Index Fund (BRMIX) in my limited choice but decent 401(k) account.
  • Thanks Amir, I'm not familiar with BRMIX, I'll check it out, now!