Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Dear Hedge Funds: Index Funds Didn’t Cause Your Lousy Performance

FYI: Bill Ackman’s gross return of 37.3% over three years was cut to only 22.2% because of high fees.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dear-hedge-funds-index-funds-didnt-cause-your-lousy-performance-2016-01-27/print

Comments

• It's never their fault. Because they are the alleged self-proclaimed "smart money" in finance. HAH!

[wipes tears away from eye after fit of laughter]

One beef w/the article, though. Yes, a 2/20 profit structure is atrocious. But I presume saying "indexing" is a dig at Vanguard, right? So 2/20 is one extreme, and a 0.04 ER on an index fund is the other. However I suspect the underlying definition of "indexing" in the article is "low cost only" ... meaning you could probably beat a hedge fund with an actively managed no-load mutual fund with an ER of 1% or less and no 12(b)-1 fees.
  • rforno said:

meaning you could probably beat a hedge fund with an actively managed no-load mutual fund with an ER of 1% or less and no 12(b)-1 fees.

These funds did just that:
  • For all the people who get off on punching the Hedgies, I recommend catching the new original series show called Billions on Showtime (or on your favorite streaming sites for those who know how to watch all of these shows without a Showtime subscription).

With obvious similarities to Steve Cohen as the hedgie people love to hate and to Preet Barrara as the politically savvy and ambitious prosecutor, with as much (or little) relevance to reality as these popular hedgie bashing articles are, it is a very entertaining and tightly-produced show (with two episodes so far) even if you hate the smug mug of Sorkin, the writer and co-producer of the show, on CNBC. The show does try to make these characters less than black and white but I suspect it caters more to people's pre-conceptions on either side of the two main characters.