Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lottery Wins Come With Burden. Should Winners be Anonymous?

edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
Something to think about. Lots of slime out there.

"In 2006, a Florida janitor named Abraham Shakespeare won a $17 million state lottery. By 2008, Mr. Shakespeare had already spent most of his winnings. His diminished fortune did not deter Dorice Dee Moore, however, who befriended Shakespeare and became his financial advisor. A year after meeting Ms. Moore, Shakespeare disappeared. His body was later found buried behind Moore’s ex-boyfriend’s home. Moore is currently serving a life sentence for Shakespeare’s murder."

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/2016/0115/Lottery-wins-come-with-burden.-Should-Powerball-winners-be-anonymous-video

Comments

• I would never announce a lottery win to the world...unless I had to under lottery rules. I would be worried about kidnapping...either myself or my family.
  • Exactly! There are lots not so nice people out there.
  • edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Given that there are so many people already so wealthy or much more going about with their daily lives in the open why would the lottery winners be at more risk? Other than the possibility that even stupid people can win the lottery and may do stupid things after winning it.

Should the employees of a startup with a large acquisition from say Google to make them very, very rich all stay anonymous?
  • From what I've been able to gather six states — Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio and South Carolina — allow winners to remain anonymous as of Apr, 2014. A strategy some recipients who wish to remain anonymous are using these days is to create a trust and then have the trust' accountant or lawyer go pick up the check.
  • edited January 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don't use Facebook either...I like to keep my life private, so I wouldn't share news of lottery winnings unless mandated.