Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

thanks!

G.K. Chesterton, one of those remarkable 19th century "men of leisure" who subverted Victorian thought then dragged it into the next century, once maintained “that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” I am, more than you know, grateful to you all.

(And I do wonder about you sometimes, but that might be a separate matter.)

With wishes for joy in the season ahead,

David

Comments

• Thank you David, and best wishes to you as well throughout the upcoming holidays, along with the team who makes this site what it is.
  • Quite right. Thank you, a thousand times. I like to put it to music. Thanksgiving: because of, and in spite of, it all.

L. Cohen is a genius.
  • edited November 2015
    Among the things that I am thankful this Thanksgiving is Mutual Fund Observer. As more a lurker than contributor, I too thank everyone who contributes. Thanks, especially, to Dave Snowball, Charles, Accipter, chip, Charles, Ted, and others who go that extra mile. Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • Go know that the gratefulness goes the other way too, more intensely perhaps, toward your and your colleagues' labors; some of the rest of us grateful recipients of your generosity just loll about and occasionally say 'You missed a spot.'
  • "And I do wonder about you sometimes, but that might be a separate matter."

David, that may be part of what -- in some mysterious way -- makes MFO what it is, for all of us. And whatever it is -- don't mess with the mix, 'cause it is something special.

Also a "LL" -- loyal lurker --

(Can't resist this off-the-record.. I grew up in rural MA, graduated from HS in a '50's class of ~100, of which perhaps 10 went to college -- and "3" of those went to "Augie"! What a coincidence!!! 2 of those are still in touch, & I still regularly hear about "Augie". Must be the air....
    (JHU alum)
  • For me, it was the Augie bunnies. When I interviewed here in '84, I stayed in an on-campus guest room. I came out in the morning to find three rabbits playing on the lawn and three different colors of squirrels - reddish, gray and black - in the tree.

I thought something like, "this is just freakishly pleasant" and subsequently accepted a job offer here, intent on staying just three years (the time I would take me to rebuild their debate program and qualify a team to Nationals). And my plan has never changed: I'm outta here ... in three years.

Cheers,

David
  • >> just freakishly pleasant

Wunderbar. I have had only maybe 3-4 longterm jobs like that, well less than half. How very cool.