Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

UnitedHealth's Decision Doesn't Mean Much for Obamacare -- Bloomberg View

edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
FWIW.....

".....UnitedHealth's decision -- which is tentative -- doesn't mean much. The company covers less than 6 percent of the exchange population; if it does pull out, those people will be able to get other coverage. The only way this would matter to the future of the exchanges would be if other insurers were to follow UnitedHealth's lead. While that's possible, it's unlikely, because the three biggest players -- Aetna, Anthem and Humana -- depend on the exchanges for more of their business, according to data from Bloomberg Intelligence, and have so far shown no signs that they want out."

"UnitedHealth...has always been lukewarm about the exchanges."

"UnitedHealth's announcement doesn't make failure any more likely. It just reinforces something that should already have been obvious: Obamacare still needs some work."

See: Bloomberg

Comments

• edited November 2015
    Sidenote: Related to the above.

Aetna and Humana shareholders voted Monday (Oct. 19) to approve the two companies’ merger, but like the Cigna-Anthem deal still must be approved by antitrust enforcers.
  • Isn't consolidation of Health Insurance providers bad for EVERYONE, period? Looks like someone has the idea, we should move toward "StandardHealth" aka "StandardOil", only it is not government healthcare. Sounds to me future of ObamaCare is to integrate with Medicare at the Federal level. Medicaid funding not working out in Red States anyways.
  • Sounds to me future of ObamaCare is to integrate with Medicare at the Federal level.

Just heard an expert on CNBC say this five minutes ago. Was that you, VF?

• http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/obamacare’s-fate-may-rest-on-patience-of-insurers-aetna-anthem/ar-BBnenjc?li=BBnbfcL

On a side note, to those who are still shopping: I checked out Centene (which is mentioned in this article) and its prices for a bronze HD plan are slightly less than what I'm paying for my Aetna plan, plus they have vision and dental options. Unfortunately for me, they do not sell plans in my county, but maybe it will help someone else. In Florida, the Centene plans are marketed under the Ambetter name.
  • The fact is virtually all insurers are losing money on the ACA plans and most of the co-ops are failing. So that means prices have to come up in order for them to have a long-term viable ACA program.

Prices up + benefits down = Individuals lose

There have been millions of people helped by Obamacare, and there have been millions that have been hurt by it. It seems like all this law has done is pick winners and losers and I am not a fan of that. There are usually many unintended consequences when the government tries to pick winners and losers.

The real question becomes, are they able to make legislative changes, that keep most of the positive benefits of Obamacare, but also make it more affordable to individuals?

From what I can tell, there was absolutely no focus on making it more affordable, it's just a mechanism to force people into insurance that they often can't afford even with subsidies.

• I'm inclined to go with Clacy on this one.
  • Bravo to Bloomberg. I was going to post something to the same effect. UHC wasn't in many markets. In some of its few markets, like New York, it priced itself so high (literally thousands of dollars higher than the next most costly plans) that it was clear UHC was in it just for show.

UHC's talking out of both sides of its mouth. Earlier this month the CEO spoke with the Chicago Tribune about how it was expanding its ACA participation across Chicagoland and why it believed in the ACA. Here's a video and an edited transcript from the paper.

It starts with: Why are you expanding? We believe it's something we can do at an affordable price.

Regarding competition (or lack thereof), difficulties of insurers, strategy for purchasing insurance, etc., I'll see if I can write something that doesn't run on forever. Something is rarely as bad as its harshest critics think, nor as good as its most zealous supporters believe. The system can be gamed (and I've done so), but that's harder than it seems to some, and may not have as much impact as some argue (in part because of some mechanisms already built into the ACA).

IMHO all aspects are like that - some truth, a lot of hype, and a bit too anecdotal (it shouldn't cost me more, else it's a failure). Reminds me of the Al Franken decade.
  • Don't know about "main driver", but it sure ain't helping!
  • Does anyone know when they will be sending the $2,500 checks to cover the promise that Obama made?

He said that it would save my family $2,500/year. I'm curious when that will happen.