Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited October 2015
    So we are suppose to buy commodities based on some gold bug whose flagship fund (PSPFX) has lost money over the past 1,3, 5, and 10 years?? One of my luckier moves in my trading/investing lifetime was staying as far away from commodities as possible. That and making my own decisions and *never* listening to the so-called experts here, there, or anywhere. The market has a way of making fools of experts and more so those who act on their advice.

• For a different perspective on gold:
    COT Data For Gold At Topworthy Level

mcoscillator.com/learning_center/weekly_chart/cot_data_for_gold_at_topworthy_level/
  • edited October 2015
    Not buying commodities, but commodity-related I've been adding to Intercontinental Exchange (ICE), which I've been very happy with.

The problem with Holmes and PSPFX is that it's hugely aggressive and acts like a leveraged fund whether times are good or bad for commodities. In 2007, it was a great fund to be in when oil was going to $150. Since then....terrible and I can't imagine what % of AUM has been lost.

Additionally....a turnover ratio of over 400% for a commodity stock fund? image
  • If you believe Holmes research h then just buy GROW instead. If his funds return 100%, his stock will return 400%. He does not buy his funds, but he buys GROW.
  • If you believe Holmes research h then just buy GROW instead. If his funds return 100%, his stock will return 400%. He does not buy his funds, but he buys GROW.

GROW was $33 at the peak in 2006. Now it's a little over a buck. It does look like a fairly decent amount of insider buying.
  • No, not In the slowing global economy. Better opportunities elsewhere.
  • Neither yes or no. Let's say squishy. I own BBL which I add to when the valuation gets ridiculous which as you all know works in both directions. BHP Billiton PLC is engaged in minerals exploration, development, production & processing, and oil & gas exploration, development and production. It currently pays around a 7.5% dividend which is primarily what I'm after. It also is hovering around it's 52-wk low. Sure it could go lower, that's a blue light special. I'm more interested in the oil & gas part but the minerals will have their day again sooner or later.

Like Junkster, I'm not a precious metals guy but I am an investor and I do see them running in cycles. Momentum (price) always talks to me.
  • It might not be an bad idea to limit order of $0.25 on GROW. Say 10000 shares. Gamble $2500 and defer that visit to Vegas. That's also like the minimum investment for most funds.

If Stock goes to $5, it's an excellent return. Just saying...