Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RNC Suspends Relationship With NBC

edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
As one with some (long-past) interscholastic debate experience I'll say that these things - going all the way back to JFK/RMN have never been real debates in the formal academic sense. However, I believe it should be criminal to call the most recent commercial-packed, emotion-laden, substantively appalling events debates.

I recall when the likes of PBS's Jim Lehrer came under fire for leaning a little too far this way or that, not asking the right follow-up or allowing a speaker to exceed a time limit. But hell - Lehrer looks like a saint by today's standards. And the candidates are not victims here. They play along, I suppose for the intense media exposure received in return.

Any type of fair debate would demand (1) that candidates answer questions put to them, (2) that they receive relatively equal amounts of speaking time, and (3) that candidates and moderators interact with one another with at least a modicum of respect and civility.

OK, I know. That "civility" stuff doesn't sell well on TV nowadays. But couldn't we at least try? This is the most powerful office on earth - perhaps wielding more power than any single mortal should be entrusted with. And to reduce the electoral competition to a jaded reality show - replete with insults, lies, recriminations and canned punch-lines does nothing to advance our well being.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/30/rnc-suspends-partnership-with-nbc-in-fallout-over-chaotic-cnbc-debate/

Comments

• The title should be Suspends Relationship with NBC (no 'C'). That's a big difference. Also not nearly as justified IMHO. NBC News has much more competent people than the clowns on the last debate.

Your critique of the "debates" (all of them) is on the mark. Unfortunately, the networks are playing these debates for ratings, not newsworthiness, and the candidates all have their own agendas, the least of which is to be informative. "Herding cats" is what comes to my mind.

The last debate was so bad that I turned it off before the end, and I'm somewhat of a junkie for this stuff.
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks for the help msf.

(I had Lehrer's name misspelled too)
  • I don't get it. CNBC is not made up of left wingers. Rick Santelli invented the "tea party" for god's sake. RNC is just dumb. This is internal RNC debate. First learn to answer the question that's asked then criticise the questions. Most times a question was asked response started with "I want to first talk about..." and then they ran out of time, and then complaining.

CNBC are a bunch of Jokers. RNC should be the makeup guys for those Jokers. A circus where everyone is a Joker.
  • I don't get it. CNBC is not made up of left wingers. Rick Santelli invented the "tea party" for god's sake. RNC is just dumb. This is internal RNC debate. First learn to answer the question that's asked then criticise the questions. Most times a question was asked response started with "I want to first talk about..." and then they ran out of time, and then complaining.

CNBC are a bunch of Jokers. RNC should be the makeup guys for those Jokers. A circus where everyone is a Joker.

Ben Carson is going to be President?

CNBC is run by NBC - the producer come over from NBC, it is Located in the NYC area - what more do you need?
  • edited October 2015
    the GOP was right to sanction NBC.

The main trio of CNBC questioners (Quintanilla, Quick, Harwood) seemed to be relentlessy asking questions less about substantive policy points, and instead about the "horse-race" -- trying to incite the candidates, rather than to inform the electorate. Basically, the trio was going for "gotchas" almost exclusively.

The questions asked, I would expect from (hostile) partisans, not journalists. This was MOST true of Harwood, less so for Quintanilla. Quick seemed to just not be comfortable/adequate for the venue. If the snarky questions were not intentionally partisan, the trio must be deemed (at best) sloppy, amateur journalists. But then that latter description cannot be applied to Harwood. He is a professional --- but he was there with a transparently partisan (not journalistic) agenda.

Towards the end, Quintanilla's question about electronic sports-betting was emblematic of the vapid questions.

The unequal amount of time/questions directed to the candidates was shocking. I seem to recall that Paul only was tossed 2 questions. The CNBC questioners seemed to want to minimize Fiorina's and Christie's involvement, though both admirably fought for more time, as did Kasich.

• edited October 2015
    http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/29/cnbcs-john-harwood-is-still-refusing-to-admit-he-was-wrong/

Bf and I are boycotting NBC and CNBC. MSNBC? Well....;) I liked Becky Quick and Carl Quintanilla...never suspected bias from them on the daily broadcast (unlike Harwood), so their marching orders for the debate most likely came from the top....ie, snark or get fired. At least MSNBC is upfront about their bias.

I am hyper-sensitive about this stuff, though...I stopped watching "The Good Wife" because of the "subtle" digs at conservatives. Bf still watches it, though.
  • edited October 2015

I don't get it. CNBC is not made up of left wingers.

Oh yes it is. Santelli and Kernan are there to show some manner of balance, but Kernan doesn't care anymore and Santelli is limited to his segments. Kudlow is right-wing, but he's seen so little now - occasionally, he wanders in like Uncle Larry happened to be coming by for a visit. The rest of that network is pretty left, I think especially Harwood (who I think was thrilled to present his real views after smirking through Kernan's insults every morning and pretending as if he was balanced in his views) and Sorkin.

I think the whole thing is hilarious. Apparently the audience even got tired of it and started booing after one of Carl's questions. It was a combination of agenda and pure stupidity - asking questions about fantasy football betting? Asking Trump if his was a "Comic book version of a presidential campaign?" I mean, in what world is that professional or acceptable in a presidential debate? I've never seen a presidential debate where the entire group of candidates felt that they needed to mount a defense against the moderators.

Honestly, CNBC should be embarrassed for the unbelievably poor questions, which had such a lack of focus on issues people care about.

It's not about left wing or right wing. If the situation was reversed and CNBC pulled that garbage for a democratic debate and they had the same response, I'd say it was justified.

Colbert summarizes the whole thing well:

• @scott I actually like Sorkin...he is unfailingly polite to guests, even if they are conservative. The one I couldn't stand (RIP) was Mark Haines...so rude and condescending to liberals and conservatives alike....no bias at all in his ugly superior attitude.
  • @scott The next debate should be moderated by TMZ;)
  • If CNBC is anti RNC, republican will never get into the whitehouse. Unless we have a FOX news sponsored dictatorship. IMO RNC is handling this wrong.

What "serious" conversation took place in the RNC debate on Fox News? The questions in that debate were serious?

There are many debates to come. These are mostly sideshows especially when you still have so many candidates. Get the list down the 3-4 and then worry about serious conversations.
  • edited October 2015
    Dex said:

CNBC is run by NBC - the producer come over from NBC, it is Located in the NYC area - what more do you need?

That's too simple. Schwarzenneger was governor of CA and he is a Republican. What about the NY Governer/Mayor, I forget his name - also a Republican. Since when was there no love for RNC on Wall Street?

CNBC at best is bipartisan, certainly not right wing. Let's just agree to disagree on this one. CNBC is a bunch of incompetent shills. They had Cramer come and ask questions for god's sake!!! Harwood was dumb, and whatever else. Because you make a mistake does not make you right winger. They are all objectivists and he was trying to up his stock that's all, and failed against Rubio.

Like I keep saying, we keep doing unnecessary ANALysis.
  • scott said:

Colbert summarizes the whole thing well:

He is terrible - I can't watch him.