Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Reuters | James Saft: Should Trump have been an index investor?

edited October 2015 in Off-Topic
Saft on Wealth: Trump Shoulda Been an Index Investor?
Oct 21, 2015 James Saft | Reuters
http://wealthmanagement.com/people/saft-wealth-trump-shoulda-been-index-investor
Oct 21 (Reuters) - Donald Trump's possibly market-lagging stewardship of the fortune he inherited illustrates in a bizarre way the attractions of active wealth management... There is a substantial possibility that Trump would have been financially better off [had he compounded] his money ... in index funds.

Comments

• It's a fool's errand trying to analyze Trump's net worth. You'd require unfettered access to his accounts and expertise in real estate for starters. My guess is that he did okay, but not amazing well, with his assets. The gain in the stock market from 1982 to 2000 was unprecedented.
  • edited October 2015

It's a fool's errand trying to analyze Trump's net worth. You'd require unfettered access to his accounts and expertise in real estate for starters. My guess is that he did okay, but not amazing well, with his assets. The gain in the stock market from 1982 to 2000 was unprecedented.

This, plus so much of this - whatever one thinks of Trump - feels like sour political gripes.

Also:

"given the four corporate bankruptcies associated with Trump organizations."

The Trump Entertainment co wasn't even his, it was licensed. I will say that Trump has not exactly picked the best partners when it comes to branding, but some of the "OMG, TRUMP HAD COMPANIES GO UNDER!" stuff has been about companies that weren't even his, if people actually cared to research.
  • This is in "Fund discussions"????
    Seems so far off topic as to merit a separate category, such as "wgaf", but that's just most of the sentient universe (and little ol' me.)
  • edited October 2015
    STB65 - (Reclassified) Happy?

However:
    The National Review ... did an analysis of his wealth versus the returns he might have earned in an S&P 500 index fund and found evidence Trump might have done better by sitting back and relaxing...

Believe whom you like, but what is clear is that there is a substantial possibility that Trump would have been financially better off sipping cocktails at the beach as his money compounded in index funds. You can also argue that the gains from an index fund would have come with less volatility, given the four corporate bankruptcies associated with Trump organizations.
    Sounds, to me, like author is discussing index funds. But what do I know? Thanks for reading.