Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the lost middle class

2»

Comments

• @msf I think that George Will must have at least a corner of the market in straw by now. This has been going on with him for so many years I don't even bother reading what he has to say; he's a smoothy, but invariably you get half-way thru any of his essays and you can see the straw man set-up already taking form. He must be the go-to independent contractor for every national rag, to satisfy requirements for adopting the "fair and balanced" pose. Erudite-sounding nonsense.
  • edited October 2015
    And here's yet another facet of this general topic.
  • heezsafe said:

@msf I think that George Will must have at least a corner of the market in straw by now. This has been going on with him for so many years I don't even bother reading what he has to say; he's a smoothy, but invariably you get half-way thru any of his essays and you can see the straw man set-up already taking form. He must be the go-to independent contractor for every national rag, to satisfy requirements for adopting the "fair and balanced" pose. Erudite-sounding nonsense.

He is what a liberal thinks a conservative should be.

• edited October 2015
    George Will. I loved his "Men At Work." Political thought? Nope. And yet, it often seems to me, on a case by case basis, that Lefties like me have forgotten what common sense is. The Right at times seems to have a better grasp on it, still, to my mind. I used to live in Lake Effect Snow Country. The town actually took responsibility for plowing the public walks, but not the path leading to everyone's door. It was so cold and snowy, the workers sat in zipped-up canvas enclosures attached to the plows. Do we REALLY need to require such implements to have a blinding yellow caution light and the BEEP BEEP BEEP in reverse-gear that wakes everyone at 3:00 a.m. --- which is often when they'd do the snowplowing??? I'm a Lefty, but it's Lefties that are responsible for such nonsense.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_at_Work:_The_Craft_of_Baseball
  • Crash said:

Do we REALLY need to require such implements to have a blinding yellow caution light and the BEEP BEEP BEEP in reverse-gear that wakes everyone at 3:00 a.m. --- which is often when they'd do the snowplowing???

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/02/snow_plow_runs_over_83-year-old_hardyston_man_kill.html

Stewart was clearing snow from streets in Crystal Springs when he backed up the vehicle, and struck Verduin while he retrieved mail from community mailboxes, police said. Verduin was pronounced dead at the scene.
  • Yes, Crash, we do. It helps keep people alive.
  • I second that. Not everyone, but some working folks DO have to get up & out in the dark during snow season -- even 3 am.. All bundled up, caps & hoods & scarves & turned-up collars -- and sometimes grumpy & not as alert as one could be, stumbling along in the snow to work. Or possibly preoccupied with dealing with someone else's problem. Nurses, MD's, shift workers....

Being waked up at 3 am by a plow going beep & being able to just stay there in a warm bed seems like a minor complaint.