Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

the surprising power of hopefulness

edited October 2015 in Off-Topic
The Wall Street Journal today had a special section entitled Encore, which is one of their periodic special reports on retirement. My academic department has a health communication curriculum. Fascinating topic, with much to say to the mutual fund industry. The health comm folks have learned that changing behavior is neither intuitive nor easy but it's also not impossible. I've urged fund companies to learn from the lessons of the health comm folks, though they're reluctant.

One of the more interesting passages comes from an article entitled "How to Change the Way You Feel About Aging." The passage is:
Even when study participants have similar health, education levels and socioeconomic status, those with more negative outlooks about aging show greater declines in a variety of areas over time. They have shakier handwriting, poorer memories, higher rates of cardiac disease and lower odds of recovering from severe disability, according to studies by Prof. [Becca] Levy [of the Yale School of Public Health and author of a big honkin' study on the matter]. They are less likely to eat a balanced diet, exercise and follow instructions for taking prescription medications as they age. They even die younger—the median difference in survival rates is 7.5 years.
The mind is an amazing thing.

A second article highlighted other ways to stay mentally sharp. They included drinking cocoa and having sex. Retirement is starting to look better and better!

David

Comments

• Hi David. Can I skip the cocoa?
  • Uhhh ... if you'd planned on dropping by, maybe you could limit yourself to the cocoa? Otherwise, go for it, big guy!
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: https://youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
  • How about drinking cocoa while having sex? That surely ought to do something!
  • Sunshiiiiine on my shoulders makes me happyyyyy.....glad I live in FL!
  • edited October 2015
    Basically if you think about it, then it will happen !!!

I'm going to win the lottery. I'm going to win the lottery. I'm going to win the lottery...

Wait! what am I thinking???

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket...

Much better. The power of positive thinking. Every time you buy gas and spend say $25, but a lottery ticket. So you will spend $26. You will not notice it. But think what it will do do your psyche "I'm going to get old win the lottery and move to Hawaii..."

Who says you can't have it all? And oh by the way, I've noticed often, so many authors throw "sex" into the picture. Since everyone wants to have it, everyone reads the article and feels good about themselves. Or at least every one reads it so it generates ad revenue. True Story. Just put the word "sex" in an article. Just see the effect.

• Even when study participants have similar health, education levels and socioeconomic status, those with more negative outlooks about aging show greater declines in a variety of areas over time. They have shakier handwriting, poorer memories, higher rates of cardiac disease and lower odds of recovering from severe disability, according to studies by Prof. [Becca] Levy [of the Yale School of Public Health and author of a big honkin' study on the matter]. They are less likely to eat a balanced diet, exercise and follow instructions for taking prescription medications as they age. They even die younger—the median difference in survival rates is 7.5 years.
    I think this goes beyond aging to most aspects of life.

The question is: nature or nurture?

I tend to think that the scales tip on the side of nature. But, it would be difficult for college professors to go with that - saying you were born that way and probably won't change doesn't get people into a class room.

No the 'negative outlook' may have been helpful when people were hunter/gathers - the cautiousness they exhibited kept them alive. Maybe not so much in today' world.