Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why invest internationally?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Hmmmmm..... don't know what the advisers are doing with "other peoples money".

--- U.S. started and kept the QE money machine running from late 2008. So, U.S. was the best of the breed at that time.

--- Europe was in the restrictive mode as I recall and there were a series of equity "fits", mostly during the springtime months (May). Greece was a concern and then Mr. Draghi did the "whatever it takes" thing with the European QE.

--- China got rolling again after the melt and bought every commodity in sight. That was good for a few years and of benefit to the Aussies (iron) and some folks in South America for awhile.

--- Japan began (again and/or still) their version of QE.

--- Some central banks continue to reduce rates here and there; I suspect, with the aspect of slow spending and the thought of deflation.

So, there was a strong dollar (commodity pricing globally), fracking finally started to produce changes in this countries energy reserves. The Euro and Japan QE provided a positive boost for investors, especially with tools like HEDJ and DXJ type funds. Recalling that the Euro/dollar was just about $1.60:$1 in 2008 and now runs around $1.14, more or less.

Don't know that anything disrupting has been provided. Just a few trinkets from the past several years that have shaped where some money travels and why.
    Not included is anything that is military, social or the particular changes of status in many middle eastern countries.
    Lots of stuff going on that we know about, and as much that we don't know about.

The U.S. is likely still the best of the economic turd piles for investing, but there are always investment gems here and there that come to life for a period of time.

Take care,
    Catch
  • But you can't polish the turd piles into a diamond. Think that is called financial engineering.
  • I suppose if you were writing this article in 1980 or 1990 or 2010, the question would be "what kind of fool wastes his money on U.S. stocks?" Indeed, the ICI 2015 Factbook suggests that much of the apparent U.S. dominance was driven by the performance disparity just in 2014: the U.S. was up 13%, non-US was down 3%. There's an okay visual in a Rick Ferri article that shows a longer-term pattern.

In general, we invest when markets are rising. While I don't know for sure what has driven recent flows, that same ICI Factbook shows that only about 10% of the industry's assets are invested internationally. Maybe the shock of the 2007-09 collapse, precipitated mostly by the poor behavior of Wall Street, caused some recalibration?

In general and over the long term, value wins, small wins, unpopular wins. Small, valuable and unpopular are not universally and eternally the province of a single national market. That's mostly the reason that I rarely invest in "pure" funds; most of my equity funds are some combination of global or hybrid rather than domestic or international.

As ever,

David
  • DS,

Thanks. Waggoner did go back 25y (though not analyzing discrete years), and there was followup too that might be of interest:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/02/27/investing-do-you-want-to-send-your-money-abroad/24077415/

Interesting about 10%, wow.
  • There are some good investments abroad..why not take advantage of them?
  • Answers to your question, right or wrong or compelling or not, are in the cited articles.
  • In line with the esteemed @David_Snowball, does anyone have suggestions for small, value-y, global funds to keep on the radar?
  • It might help if you define what you consider small, and whether you are looking for small cap, large cap, multicap. Personally, i like small cap intl separated from domestic, but others may like the global concept.
  • MrRuffles said:

In line with the esteemed @David_Snowball, does anyone have suggestions for small, value-y, global funds to keep on the radar?

The only one that comes to mind is EVGBX, and that's a little expensive for my tastes. PGVFX is a nice multicap option, and maybe ADVWX.

• slick said:

It might help if you define what you consider small, and whether you are looking for small cap, large cap, multicap. Personally, i like small cap intl separated from domestic, but others may like the global concept.

Oops, I meant to say small-cap above.
  • Not much to choose from. Andrew Foster argues that in the emerging markets, value hasn't worked because the corporate structures are so intertwined that the catalysts to unlock value never appear. He thinks that's changing, but slowly.

Pear Tree Polaris Small Cap (USBNX) or Pear Tree Polaris Foreign Value Small Cap (QUSOX) are worth checking; Polaris took over the former fund at the start of 2015. Causeway International Small Cap (CVISX) is new but value leaning and the Causeway folks have a pretty good heritage. Seafarer Overseas Growth & Income (SFGIX) has a much smaller cap than its peers and is, as you know, a favorite of mine.

I'll ponder a bit more.

David
  • Not sure who gets credit for this fund's ticker, but Dimension Fund's United Kingdom Small Company I fund (DFUKX) has performed impressively.