Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Investors Facing The Dark Side Of MLP Investing

FYI: Poor performance could send the income-generating category back to direct investing, where it belongs.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20151007/BLOG12/151009946?template=printart

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Jeez another "MLPs are spooky vehicles" piece. Just because the whole sector is down big this year doesn't suddenly make everything in it a bad or questionable investment. Sure there are many MLPs that likely will die off and/or suffer bigtime, and many of them are held by the clueless masses looking only at the yield percentages (you reap what you sow!) but there are still several solidly run, conservative ones that 99.99% are expected to survive and thrive and be of service to unitholders for a long time to come. EPD, SEP, KMI come to mind -- I own the first 2, actually.

• Correct rforno, and MMP belongs on your short list. I own a few others with MLPL being my most speculative, "hang-on-to-your butt" play.
  • edited October 2015
    Thanks for all these ridiculous articles on MLPs lately and other factors that allowed me to add to ETE (which will now be the largest pipeline/energy infrastructure company with the purchase of WMB) at $19 the other day.

Brookfield will spin-off another MLP next year - their private equity division.

If I didn't want to limit the amount of MLPs I own I would have added to EPD. I will probably not be into the upcoming Brookfield spin-off, but will continue to own BIP and especially BPY.