Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Chuck Jaffe: Why Most Investors Should Ignore Janet Yellen, Donald Trump And The Dow

FYI: Instead, pay attention to your portfolio’s costs, allocation, and rebalancing.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-investors-should-ignore-the-fed-the-election-and-the-market-2015-09-18/print

Comments

• edited September 2015
    I'm not a fan of rebalancing for the sake of rebalancing (and I expect to be very stock-heavy until they put me into the ground) but I agree completely that Yellen, Trump, CNBC, and economists generally are best ignored as part of a good investing strategy.
  • Howdy @rforno

Agree............rebalance one's own portfolio as needed; not just at 12:30pm on some day into the future, for a given year.

Regards,
    Catch
  • edited September 2015
    I think we're increasingly seeing hot money chase trends, driving sectors to unsustainable highs and lows. However, these trends persist for very long periods. Riding the trends if you're a smart (or lucky) momentum investor is very rewarding.

My biggest problem in the past has been bailing when something gets hot, believing that locking in a 10-20% gain was to my advantage. Of course, in a market where hot funds and sectors can tack-on 15-20% gains year after year, that's a self-defeating practice.

I'm increasingly moving to a buy and hold strategy focused mostly on good balanced and allocation funds. Some rebalancing, but less than in the past. 75% is so allocated to that strategy now and I'll likely raise it to 80% by year's end.
  • What Balanced And What Allocation Funds Do You Own?
  • edited September 2015
    @ducrow - Thanks for the question. Following is my Buy & Hold group. Many are of the balanced and allocation variety. A lot of this evolved over the years by placing square pegs (funds already owned) into round holes (different sleeves within the plan) ... so it makes sense to me, but wouldn't be a model I'd recommend to anyone else,

Multi-Income - RPSIX 18-22%
    Balanced - RPGAX and DODBX 18-22% combined
    Hybrids - OAKBX, PRPFX, and TRRIX 12-15% each
    Hard Assets - (currently 3 funds) about 10% combined
    Global Income - (currently 2 funds) about 10% combined

Above represents approximately 75% of retirement assets. Rebalancing is minimal.

More to your specific question
    Balanced funds: DODBX and RPGAX
    Allocation funds: RPSIX and TRRIX
    OAKBX is sometimes called balanced. I consider it "moderate allocation - equity."
    PRPFX is sometimes called allocation. I'd call it a "specialty" fund.
    Outside Buy & Hold, I own PRWCX. It is sometimes called balanced. I'd call it "moderate allocation-equity".