Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

S&P 500 Flagging

FYI: Heading into August, the S&P 500 had traded in a tight range between 2,050 and 2,125 over the prior six months. After completely breaking down below that range, the index has formed a very clear “flag” pattern. Check it out in the chart of the S&P below. These flag patterns often result in a big move in either direction, and as you can see below, we’re at the end of the flag right now heading into the FOMC announcement on Thursday
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bespokepremium.com/think-big-blog/sp-500-flagging/

Comments

• I believe that the pattern is more properly called a pennant. One source:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/charts/charts6.asp
  • I vote for a "d" flag (pennant) not a "q"
  • OK, everyone: salute d flag!
  • beebee
    edited September 2015
    Examining this flag reveals consistent higher lows...finger crossed. As Martha Stewart always says, "This is a good thing."

• edited September 2015
    What is supposed to be the duration of this big move? Market has been on a long big move until a couple of months back. Every time it went up, it made a higher low right? If it didn't it wouldn't have gone up.

Basically I can look at any "pattern" (sic) and say S&P is making higher lows and that's a good thing. Until it stops making higher lows. Needless to say at that point I will "see" another pattern, that will tell me it is now making lower highs and I will say that's a bad thing.

Rinse, Repeat. WTF?

• edited September 2015
    Chicken bones tossed in the air, landing on a blanket. Mama JuJu, what does the pattern portend?
  • Oh ye of little faith...