Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

w

edited April 2018 in Fund Discussions
w

Comments

• @andiel1049 nice thread! These are the types of funds I like to invest in...I don't own either MASFX or HFXIX currently, but I am going to do more research on them. I'm interested in getting more ideas on these types of funds from other MFO board members.
  • @andie1049
    On the M* chart of HFXIX's performance, a dashed vertical line appears in 2013. Below the chart, it is noted:
    "This fund experienced a significant change in its investment strategy and/or legal structure as of 08/30/2013."
    Do you know what this change entailed?
  • @heezsafe It went from hedge fund to mutual fund, thus changing it's legal structure. It maintains the same investment strategy.
  • @little5bee There are very few funds in this space that are both very transparent and also have great results. What other funds do you like in this space?
  • beebee
    edited August 2015
    A quick search of Managed Futures:
    WAVIX
    AMFQX
    ASFYX
    LCSIX
    LOTIX
    CSAIX

A quick search of Multi-alternatives:
    QOPYX
    PDMYX
    PMSPX
    DRRIX
    BXMMX
    WMCNX - Manager interview on Wealth Track this week
  • @andiel049

I own FPACX, AZIDX, BMATX and MCXAX at Schwab. I also own 3 funds at Altegris...hedge funds from Citadel and Millennium and a PE fund from KKR. I currently don't own any managed futures funds...what percentage of your portfolio is in HFXIX?

You are correct about transparency...that's why whenever I buy one of these funds, I scale into it gradually.
  • edited August 2015
    HFXIX limits itself to S&P 500 index futures, so it's kind of a different animal from the mostly wider-ranging MF category where M* has it pigeonholed. Just from a quick glance, I'd probably compare it more with long-short or market neutral equity funds. The AQR funds of that persuasion are also pretty good.

Edit: I didn't realize Catalyst has such a big stable ... eight hedged funds plus a bunch of others.
  • @little5bee I hold a substantial stake in the fund. I run a pretty focused strategy with less than a handful of funds and it is in that mix. I think through the market volatility it will be a home run.

@andyj when I spoke to the team at catalyst about it, they call it a hybrid market neutral fund.