Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barry Ritholtz: Mom And Pop Outsmart Wall Street Pros

FYI: Here’s a bit of role reversal for you: Mom and Pop were content to ride out the market’s volatility this past month, more or less sitting tight. Meanwhile, the pros were driven to the point of near panic.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-08-28/mom-and-pop-outsmart-wall-street-pros

Comments

• Sure would have been nice to include some evidence in support of that claim. Barry's evidence seems to come down to two things. First, computerized selling created Monday morning's disconnect between price and value. SBUX was down 22%. Some ETFs were down 30%. Second, he links to an article from January 2012 on the theme "sure has been quiet around here lately." Sadly, neither of those two bits of information (nor the fact that hedge funds were poorly allocated and that CNBC's ratings suck) support the claim that mom 'n' pop are finally cool, steely creatures.

The evidence he offers that folks are buying more ETFs actually points in the opposite direction (the "T" is for "Trading" and evidence I've seen suggests that people who possess trading vehicles, well, trade them). The evidence that TD Ameritrade froze up and that Vanguard had to do the "all hands on deck" thing to cover incoming calls suggests that mom 'n' were on the phone and at their keyboards . The WSJ reports that Tuesday's stock fund redemptions were the greatest in eight years.

I'd really like the headline to be true. I'm just not sure that I've seen the evidence to substantiate it.

David

• I don't know about mom & pop, but came across article in WSJ where one trader made millions !!
    Have a nice weekend, Derf
  • edited August 2015
    Charlie Rose interviewed Ritholtz recently. He came across as bright and engaging. However, I know little about his investing acumen.
  • David: I like your comments.
  • Lawlar said:

David: I like your comments.

Ditto.
  • edited August 2015
    That WSJ article David put up is really good.

I think it was early Monday that Bloomberg TV reported problems at some of the trading firms. One of their talking heads attributed it to frantic "buying".

I didn't believe it at the time - and sure don't now.:)
  • edited August 2015
    @David_Snowball Why did you have to go and splash cold water on such a tender moment of bonding? The stroke felt so good, it felt so right......

Actually, his colleague, Josh Brown, posted something similar to his blog. They must have had lunch together, or something:
    http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/08/27/computers-are-the-new-dumb-money/
    Yes, in his mind, Monday was a human triumph, and machines formed the loser crowd.