Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anybody Watching the Bloomberg Interviews of Fed Officials?

"Live from Jackson Hole":)

Being generous, these resemble a marginally B grade movie. I haven't figured out what the purpose of all this is.

Bullard just managed to knock the Dow down 50 points in 3 minutes with hawkish comments.

LOL

Comments

• edited August 2015
    No, because honestly doing anything based upon what a particular Fed governor says in a particular day is just futile. Bullard could easily say something different next month.
  • I found the discussions to be very informative. It gave us an indication of what the members are watching and how they are thinking.

I appreciate Bloomberg's efforts to provide viewers with intelligent discussions, as opposed to CNBCs efforts to dramatize the market. CNBC's nightly specials called "Markets in Turmoil" were not helpful to informed investing. It's like yelling "fire" in a movie theater.
  • edited August 2015
    No, because the risk/reward ratio from listening to them anymore does not have a positive skew for me, IOW the probability of injury to my mental well being is now higher than what I'm willing to risk. It's like listening to Sarah Palin; sooner or later, she's gonna say something when you're protective shield is down, and it's really gonna mess with your head. For days.

@hank however, if you're willing to risk it, here is something to at least lighten the load, which you might find amusing:
    a speech by Stanley Fischer at Jackson Hole turned into a pretend interview:
    http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2015/08/us-inflation-developments.html
  • edited September 2015
    "you're protective shield is down"

Sir! We've lost all power to the shields!!
    Palin class Romulan warbird decloaking off the starboard bow!!
    Red Alert!! Red Alert!! All hands to battle stations!!
    Mr Worf, standby to fire photon torpedoes!

• edited September 2015
    heezsafe said "No, because the risk/reward ratio from listening to them anymore does not have a positive skew for me, IOW the probability of injury to my mental well being is now higher than what I'm willing to risk."
    -
    Than I assume you didn't watch the re-runs from last week which Bloomberg aired again today under the banner: "Jackson Hole Postmortem". (I'm not kidding.)Unfortunately, the more I hear them talk, the less they seem like highly idealistic and altruistic guardians of the realm - and the more they come across as a bunch of wealthy bankers.
  • edited September 2015
    Well, the Fed is a wealthy bank...
  • edited September 2015
    hank said:

and the more they come across as a bunch of wealthy bankers.

But they're totally looking out for the best interests of everyday Americans. Or so I've been told repeatedly.

There's a great Yellen interview at the end of a movie called "Money For Nothing", where she talks about how we have to not have an economy reliant on bubbles. Hilarious stuff. Interviews with lots of familiar faces, including a number of current and prior Fed officials and familiar economists (Barry Ritholtz, among many others.)

In all seriousness, very good documentary and well worth a view. It's on Netflix, last I looked.

Trailer: